Jan 12, 2009
So I just finished putting together my new computer. I'm running
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
MSI N9600GT 512M OC GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA
Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX12V Power Supply
2gb ram
dvd burner 2 hard drives

The problem I am facing is that my computer is shutting down when ever I might be gaming or doing something I believe is using my graphic card more than normal. So my mobo has an 8 pin slot and I put my 4 pin psu in the 8pin slot. When I turn my computer on I get a message from nvidia saying that my video card isn't getting enough power and it lowered my settings to a safer option.

Long story short I was just wondering i needed more than 430 watts or is it the fact that I plugged the 4 pin plug into the 8 pin slot that isn't providing my graphic card with enough power. If it is the latter will a 8 pin converter fix the problem? Thanks for any help that is provided.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
If it is saying that it does not have enough juice, sounds like you need a better power supply. Also, that 4 pin connector should not be going there. Usually those are for cpu power. But sounds like you definitely need a better power supply.

Look at the amperage. I think that power supply has like 18 amps. Some 400 watt corsair units for example have close to 30 amps on the 12v+ rail. So regardless of the wattage, the corsair units would be giving the system more clean usable power.

Zehava

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
I figured as much thank you for the quick reply. I was just hoping to get a converter instead of having to buy a new psu, but them the breaks i guess.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I know how it is man. You could return the 9600gt and try to get a 4670 if you want to take a chance on that and not spend the money as it's a decent card but is not too power hungry. Might be an option, though you will want to double check and see what amperage those require, but I am certain they don't require an external power connector.