SATA drive suddenly invisible in BIOS? Won't boot!

Spaceman Spiff

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Hey guys,

I'm trying to help my brother resolve a problem with his PC. He's running:

Asus A8N-E (s939)
A64 X2 4400+
Windows Vista Home Premium 32
200Gb Seagate SATA

He's had no issues or problems with it of any kind since getting it.

...anyway, here's what happened:

He says he resumed his computer from sleep mode, and within a few seconds, everything froze, all the icons disappeared from the desktop, and an error message saying something about "logic drive" or "Logic driver" not being found or not working properly. He shut the computer down shortly since everything was locked up.
Upon starting it up again, Windows fails to load. He gets a "No system disk or disk error, etc" message in BIOS.
Upon entering BIOS, the IDE optical drives are detected, but the SATA drive fails to show up in any of the boot.

I swapped in an old IDE HDD he had lying around with Windows XP installed, and it was recognized in BIOS and loaded up just fine.

I then took the problem drive, the one BIOS refused to recognize, and tested it on another machine to see if I could retrieve his data. Sure enough, as soon as I plugged it in, the other computer detected it in BIOS and I was able to salvage his important data.
But unfortunately, his computer still fails to detect the SATA HDD.

So far, I've:

--Swapped SATA cables
--Plugged the SATA drive into every available SATA port on the motherboard (4)
--Inserted the Vista DVD and tried a Startup Repair option (no go, didn't see the drive or partition)
--Reset CMOS
--Looked over every setting in BIOS

He claims not to have plugged in any foreign USB devices recently, as I figured that might be the issue.

But does anyone have any idea what this could be? The HDD works fine in other computers, and it runs/detects IDE HDDs just fine. But for some reason, SATA seems to have just vaporized.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I would get another working SATA HDD and run a clean format and windows install on it. Then if it works fine, add the problem HDD, see if it will pick it up. If neither are recognized, put the IDE back in to boot, and uninstall the SATA controllers in the device manager. Turn off the pc and hook the HDD back up, then start the pc. It will then pick up the new hardware and install the SATA controllers.