Build now or wait for windows 7?

chromeeightball

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
What do you think? I was going to build a new system and put a copy of Xp on it till Win7 came out. Then I got to thinking if I can wait it out till Win7 comes out everything I was going to buy will ge a lot cheaper at that time. What's you opinion?

Liderc

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Vistas bugs were just worked out in the last 4-6 months, I wouldn't suggest building with Win7 as soon as it comes out.

Vista is a great OS now, just saying brand new OS' aren't always the best ones to use.

3lvis

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Vista 64 premium works fine, so there's no reason to wait for microsoft to re-brand it under windows 7. Everything concerning computers gets cheaper over time. Eventually, you just have to stop looking and planning and break down and buy something to enjoy the technology.

xxdarkreapingxx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
Would a new OS coming out decrease the prices of hardware though?
DirectX11 is coming out to, but that is backwards compatible with DirectX10 cards.

Liderc

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
I don't think a new OS coming out will directly lower hardware prices, but as it will be a few months until Win7 comes out, it follows that current hardware prices will be lower by then.

chromeeightball

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
That is what I was referring to new tech coming out and prices coming down. Plus I don't want to fork out the money for Vista and turn around in a year for Win7.

Win7 looks to be much more than a rebranded Vista. More like a huge upgrade for XP.

3lvis

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008

Excellent point :bounce: . Microsoft's business model seems to be to release Operating Systems that are full of bugs, then let the IT community test and debug it for them for free, hence the need for a follow up service pack (should be named all the stuff microsoft was too lazy or stupid to fix :pt1cable: ).

Expect Windows 7 will be horrible for the first 4-6 months too :ouch: .

Load your XP, just before Win 7 comes out start looking for a copy of vista with a FREE upgrade to win 7. That's what I did - bought a copy of XP pro w/free vista update. Had stable XP while they worked some of the bugs out of Vista - although I never really had any problems with Vista.

chromeeightball

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
You all are probalbly right! The release will get pushed back to it's original release date to late summer 2009 if not later :sarcastic: . Then the 6 months for us to work out the bugs or longer still like Vista was :pfff: .

I guess I'll bit the bullet and get Vista 64 and wait to see what comes of Win7. Thanks for you "input" :D