Need advice on final build.

XAKEP

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
After some time going and spending hours of diffirent review sites here is what I have. I'd like to say that my Budget is 2200$ (Total after shipping and any tax) and right now my total is $2,036.04, so i have about 170$ is "upgrades" that I can do I will list all things I am getting and well please if possible let me know may be I am missing something or some part can be upgraded to something better (within my 170$ budget) and I know it's kinda too much to ask but newegg does combos sometimes and I found that my Case and PSU i son combo right now and well I save 50$ so if you see something like that please I'll be very thankful if you let me know. So here is it. Oh Also this system is for Gaming 95% and 5% some other things :D

SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F - OEM --- 24$

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM --- 229.99

ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail --- 209.99

ASUS EAH4870X2/HTDI/2G/A Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail --- 519.99

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ - Retail --- 154.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231223

ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail --- 299.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131346

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail --- 280

Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail - Combo for 279.98
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.147902

Shipping: 16.13
Total: $2,036.04

So here it is people I plan to order this parts on Wednesday I hope all current promotions and combos will be valid. As you see I don't have and CPU Coolers on my list because I simply don't know what to get please tell me what should I get for LGA1366 i7. Well again if anything you may think of please let me know. This is my first system for many years, last time I build something word GPU or AGP did not exist.

Thank you very much for advice, communities like this I think best help ever, so again thank you very much for your time.

XAKEP

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Thank you for your reply but in my understanding it's not about size of monitor but Pixels , in other words you may have 17' with 1920x1600 vs 22' 1650x1024 and well 17' will need more processing power to get all 1920 pixels going. I may be wrong but I think it's correct. Good advice I will look in to this, Thanks. Anything else ?

Akebono 98

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
You're right on the pixels point, XAKEP. +1 also to shortstuff. Your video solution is not as balanced as it could be so you could either get a cheaper video card or a bigger monitor that can be driven by your intended 4870x2. For best image quality, run your monitor at its native resolution (to avoid pixel interpolation). If you haven't done so already, have a look at this reference article from this website that breaks it down by pixel resolutions: Video Card Article. It will help you sharpen up your video solution.

For LGA 1366 heatsinks, look at:

1. Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme 1366RT

2. Noctua NH-U12P SE1366

You'll also need to spend a couple of bucks on some good aftermarket thermal paste to go with the aftermarket cooler, either Arctic Cooling MX-2 or Arctic Silver 5.

Your Antec case / PSU combo deal is great for what you get, but you don't really need such a huge case to fit this gear--a mid tower is perfectly sufficient (unless you really like full towers or are planning on major expansion later). Antec's 900 is smaller with the same style and Coolermaster's CM-690 is cheaper and just as good. Also, a 750W PSU (e.g. PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 or Corsair TX 750) will do just fine--might be able to save a few bucks here and put it towards something else.

Since your last system predated AGP, you'll probably want a gaming mouse and gaming keyboard too, but that's entirely a matter of personal preference.

Don't forget the operating system as well.

3lvis

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Unlike CRT's where you can vary number of pixels per inch to increase the resolution, LCD run native resolution (where size is directly related to #of pixels). Having said this the size of your LCD determines which video card you should get to drive it.
Shortstuff is 100% correct in saying that a 4870x2 is overkill for a 21.5" monitor. In fact its overkill by a factor of 2.
4870x2 = 30" LCD @ 2560 x 1600 = 4096000 pixels
4870 = 24" LCD @ 1920 x 1200 = 2304000 pixels
4850 = 22" LCD @ 1680 x 1050 = 1764000 pixels

I recommend the 4870 and an HDTV (1080p) of 37" or bigger and a 22" LCD for a second screen.

I would also drop the velociraptor in favor of multiple WD 640 HD's in raid 5. You will be able to utilize the raid controller on your motherboard, increasing the speed and security of your data with parity.

Akebono 98

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Since your chosen Asus monitor has a native resolution of 1920 x 1080, it should be paired with a single 4870 video card (which is much cheaper than $520). I'm guessing that you selected that monitor for both its value and the fact that you want to build in future HD movie capability. In that case, you could use the savings from the video card for a Blu-ray reader instead.

However, for best gaming, take shortstuff's advice and get a 24" monitor, paired with either a single 4870 or GTX 260 Core 216. Because you are using the Asus P6T Deluxe, that leaves you with the option to Crossfire or SLI those cards in the future if you decide to move to a 30" monitor. Just remember to have PSU headroom if you want to run multiple video cards later.

XAKEP

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
First let me start by saying thank you for all people that responded to my post, and now let's get back to build. I will address not to specific person but to general public with correction to a responses to my original post.

Video Card: The reason I got 4870X2 simply because I want it to serve me for long time and I most likely will not get 30' monitor I will think on 24' but at list I know that it's feature proof also option to do Crossfire with it. If I am missing something out please let me know with this, because my main thing is to invest in something that I will be able to use for few years from now.

Monitor: I really like asus monitor for no other reason that it's ASUS and well it's pretty good pixel counts. I will not be using Blu-Ray with it but playing games on 1920 resolution, and also 2ms is good for gaming and one of the most important things I personally thing that 22 I optimal for my desk/eye distance and in general size on the screen.

PSU: What kind of PSU I will need in case I will get 2 4870X2 cards ? I daan't want to have minimum but 1Kwt is kinda a lot even for them ... is it I saw 750W advice is it enough for 2 cards set-up for future ?

Case: Originally I selected 900 not 1200 and then I saw that this ATI cards need cool air and stuff like that and I desided to go with full tower. In 900 with Crossfire and couple drives in future is enough space for AIR to circulate and well I don't see them in from of me so I can't really deside so on this one I will go on strictly what you will tell me. ( Also if there is other nice and may be on sale case I will look on it too)

CPU Cooler: Is one supplyed with CPU is really that bad and I really should change it ? Cause on newegg.com they kinda have only two kind and one is sold out. I am not planning to over clock CPU but then again most likely I will later on.

Thermal paste: Even if I desided to go with original CPU I will need to get a good Thermal Paste can someone paste a link from newegg so I can order it. I have Arctic Cooling MX-2 or Arctic Silver 5 as recommendations so far.

RAM: I am all good with it ? I neve heard of this company before but then again .... many years passed from my last Kingston ValueRAM Build.

HDD: I was planning to do RAID 0 wirh Raptors later on and now I hear on this RAID 5 ... it's similar to RAID 0 ? What is better Raptors in RAID 0 / 5 or WD 640 in RAID 0 / 5 ? ( WD 640 is 7200 RPM drive if I am not mistaken)

Thank you very much for all support hopefully after this I will have complete picture on what I should get and come Wednesday everything will be in stock and I will order parts.

P.S.

I still confused on this Monitor size thing. Let's say 4870X2 is runs with full potential on 30' with resolution of 1920x1600, why it will not run with same full potential on 22' monitor with SAME 1920x1600 (I know mine is 1920x1080) resolution. Again I don't see how size matters because there is 20' TVs that only 1024x769 and well 4870x2 will have kick out of it. Again It's kinda late and most likely I am missing point just may be link me something so I caxn read on it. Thank you.

P.P.S

My main concern right now is Case, PSU, CPU heat sink and Thermal Paste other parts I kinda made my mind but it may change too.

Thank you Thank you Thank you and I know I am kinda annoying but it's my first build in some time and I really want to make thins one a little monster. Thanks !

Akebono 98

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Many issues you have, let's see if we can address all of them.

1. Why don't you just go with the Asus monitor you picked and one single 4870 or GTX 260 Core 216 video card for now. That will be fine at that monitor's native resolution (it falls between standard 22" and standard 24"). I think that you went about picking the monitor size in the right way, by reference to desk / eye distance, etc.

2. You can probably go to a 24" monitor at 1920 x 1200 native resolution on that same video card. If you do so and then you feel that your frame rate on whatever games you play is not high enough, then you can always add a second video card of the same type because your Asus P6T Deluxe supports both Crossfire and SLI.

3. You want your video card to "last for a while", but that generally doesn't happen with the way things work in the technology industry. Building in this dual video card upgrade path is how you make your gear "last for a while". It is also more economical because you don't need to spend $520 up front for that expensive 4870x2 card. Either card will fall in price in a year or two, so your total cash outlay will definitely be less. As a matter of fact, you can buy two 4870s now for less than $520.

4. Only get the 4870x2 card if you know what you're doing. There's no way you need a 4870x2 card for that 1920x1080 resolution--Crysis players please correct me. :hello:

5. If you want to work through the numbers yourself, look at this power supply calculator to estimate your needs and leave some extra headroom: Power Supply Calculator.

6. Your case / PSU combo deal is good--stick with it because it is bang on for what you want to do (you'll need the 1200 to house all of your upgrade plans). Most importantly, that Antec Quattro 1000W power supply has an important feature for you: it has two 6-pin and two 6/8 pin power connectors which allow you to run two video cards of either 4870, 4870x2 or GTX 260 Core 216 flavour. This is future-proofing for you and fits perfectly into your contemplated upgrade path.

7. If you determine that you don't need such a large power supply, then just be careful to buy one that has all of these connectors so that you can upgrade later on with Crossfire or SLI. Back of the envelope: 750W for two 4870 cards, and 850W for two GTX 260 Core 216 cards, but use the calculator to analyze your needs.

8. If you don't look at the combo deal, also look at the Coolermaster 932 HAF case, which has more space between the end of the video cards and the hard drive cages. You're going to have a lot of cabling to deal with later. Both the 1200 and the 932 have excellent airflow.

9. Regarding OC and heatsinks, why don't you do this. Don't OC for now and just use the stock cooler (which comes with thermal paste pre-applied). When better LGA 1366 coolers come out, buy the one you want and then OC at that time. Just remember that in all likelihood, you will be getting a cooler that needs a backplate, which means that you will need to pull out the mobo to install it--hope you don't mind that. ;)

10. Thermal paste links: Arctic Cooling MX-2, Arctic Silver 5

11. G.Skill is an excellent memory company and I would not hesitate to buy their product (although I myself use Mushkin Redline). The DDR3 that you buy depends on how much you will be overclocking your RAM--but you should read up on i7 overclocking first.

12. RAID: I think you are being confused on RAID configuration. What you should do is start with your intended Velociraptor as your everything drive. Later on, your Velociraptor becomes the system drive for OS and apps. You then add two large data drives in RAID 1, which is data mirrored (for backup purposes). E.g. two 1 TB or 1.5 TB drives, or whatever the size is when you go to do this.

13. Regarding your P.S.: go look at the link that I gave you earlier ("Video Card Article") and think about it. Determine your needs based on the resolution that you will use, but remember to only use the LCD's native resolution to avoid pixel interpolation. I.e. for 24", use 1920x1200 resolution only, even though you can set it to something else.

You've got more than a little monster here... :lol:

XAKEP

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Thank you very much Akebono 98 for your answers I now know hwta I need and where I need to go :p

Oh with my luck .. I was trying to order parts on wednesday and P6T Deluxe is out of stock ......damn it.