Sign in with
Your question

Dual boot windows 7 64 and xp 32 dual boot same drive

Last response: in Windows 7
September 12, 2011 8:21:14 PM

Hello,
i have a new work laptop with xp sp3 on it. I want to install w7 64 bit as a dual boot, but only have 1 physical drive. i cannot remove my current installation as it is pre-build from work, but can partition the drive etc. However on trying to install w7 64 bit I get a message saying cannot install windows 7 on efi drive with mbr, not gpt. Can I do what I want without screwing up my xp installation?
a b $ Windows 7
September 13, 2011 5:28:01 PM

U can partition the current drive by using free Partition Manager 11 Free Edition.

Just make sure, u have enough space. Win 7 needs 16-20GB, XP SP3 needs 1765 MB.

EDIT: XP first!
U just select size that u think u'll need and I would partition to 3 parts.
1 XP min. 15GB
2 Win7 min. 30GB
3 All documents linked to this partition. Why? Easy access for u from both systems and in case of crash of system folder,u dont loose any data.

Read for detail how to: http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/5.html

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-express/downloa...
a c 215 $ Windows 7
September 13, 2011 7:37:56 PM

Your boot manager won't be able to boot both OS's since the older OS needs to be installed first. There are ways to fix the boot manager after installation, but I can't remember what they are. You will need to search the forums for the answer or try googling it.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 13, 2011 7:45:03 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Your boot manager won't be able to boot both OS's since the older OS needs to be installed first. There are ways to fix the boot manager after installation, but I can't remember what they are. You will need to search the forums for the answer or try googling it.

So, I was always lucky to put XP first :) 

Thanx Hawkeye22

I learn something new all the time.....
a c 215 $ Windows 7
September 13, 2011 7:50:05 PM

Doh! I need to read better. I thought you had 7 on first, thus my other post, so ignore that one... well, don't ignore it, but yes, microsoft requires their OS's to be installed from oldest to newest.
a b $ Windows 7
September 13, 2011 7:53:04 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Doh! I need to read better. I thought you had 7 on first, thus my other post, so ignore that one... well, don't ignore it, but yes, microsoft requires their OS's to be installed from oldest to newest.

No, you have been right, I edited it ,
so there is no mistake to be made for jonnohudski
!