Some more questions about an I7 build

blackhawk95

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Hey guys,

Ive been doing some more reasearch about an I7 920 build id like to do and have some more questions.

1. I was reading an article on The $2500 system build on here and it mentioned that the retail version of the I7 920 has the memory ratio unlocked where you can select DDR3 anywhere from 800 - 2133. Is that correct?

2. Having settled on the i7 920 cpu. and going to run Vista 64, what would be the ideal amount of ram? 6gb, 8gb or 12gb?

3. Does the tri-channel DDR3 have to be run in pairs of 3 chips? or could I run say a 6gb kit and add one more chip for a total of 8gb?

Thanks in advance for the replys.

Jerid

vgdarkstar

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
No, you can run 2GB x 3 + 2GB just fine, it will be triple channel and will use the last 2GB last, just check the motherboard memory specs when you're putting it together. Six GB is quite a bit though, I have 12GB total and the only time I've used 6+ was while having supcom and crysis minimized/running OR when I had this weird memory leak that got me up to almost 10GB usage once.

Crownregent

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Well myself am going for 24 GB on a new build for my Animation work.
thinking of the gigabyte motherboard that supports 24 GB. However i have a hardtime to find the 4 GB ddr3 chips

12 gigs is pretty insane, though I do occasionally use >6. Mainly it occurs when using Solidworks simultaneously with a game.

The other thing that uses incredible quantities of memory is chkdsk. I noticed it the other day - it was using >11GB while running a simple chkdsk /r.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

...and I thought having 6GB was an overkill...