[stoppable] AMD to lose its x86 licence in 60 days

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
AMD 8-K:

http://secfilings.nyse.com/filing.php?doc=1&attach=ON&ipage=5589161&rid=12

Intel Says GLOBALFOUNDRIES Deal Breaches AMD Cross-Licensing Agreement:

http://www.dailytech.com/Intel+Could+Shut+Down+AMDs+CPU+Production+Completely+in+Two+Months/article14588.htm

Intel Corporation has sent notice to its chief competitor Advanced Micro Devices that it believes AMD has breached a patent cross-licensing agreement that the two reached in 2001. The agreement covered royalty payments by AMD in regards to aspects of the x86 instruction set used in CPUs, as well as foundry and production rights.

In a filling with the Securities and Exchange Commission, AMD stated Intel "purports to terminate the Company's rights and licenses under the Cross License in 60 days if the alleged breach has not been corrected".

Intel claims that in response to the material breach notification it sent out, AMD claimed Intel breached the agreement by notifying AMD of its breach.

Under the terms of the license agreement, the notification to AMD means the two parties will attempt to resolve the dispute through third party mediation.

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008

But if AMD goes black, who would sue Intel for x86-64?

Besides, the profits of being a total monopoly would probably deal with that.

Not really, seeing as Denebs were never in the same class as Nehalems (despite the number of people who like to compare them). The real comparison is Q9000 series vs Deneb, and I would bet quite a bit of money that Intel is selling more Core 2 Quads than AMD is selling Denebs, if nothing else due to the fact that Intel is in the vast majority of premade computers.

Now that I re-think this over, it makes perfect sense:

1: Screw AMD
2: Give X86 license to NVIDIA
3: Watch NVIDIA screw itself
4: Profit

In all honesty, the X86 instruction set was patented in 1978; thats 30 years ago. Aren't patents supposed to last 20 years? I wonder if theres a chance the instruction set could be delared "open" (NVIDIA would love for that to happen)

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
GO INTEL!!! lets see how much more horrible you can make the planet!!! just keep bullying around everyone else and NEVER give them the chance!!! HOORAY! you are so strong with all ur money!!!

Intel's antics are the EXACT reason this world's economy is in such turmoil, stuff like that does not win you favor, people just end up fearing you... but push them around enough, they will start to bite back...

right now the first company that comes out with an Atom/Ion platform will probably get a whole heap of crap for it from Intel, they have done this in the past...

Intel needs to Lighten up, people will respect them more...

I cant wait to go home and game on my Intel CPU...

Heres AMDs response http://idea.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/2488/000119312509054552/d8k.htm

Im thinking Intel is shooting itself in the foot here. Theyve set a two tier in their current product lineup, and theyre starting to be seen as bullies. This all plays into AMDs hands, at ground level...to a small extent. On the larger scale, its possible by doing what Intel has done here, that AMD is right, and Intel has broken the agreement first actually, which will matter in future determinations on this. Time will tell on all this, but Intels sueing everyone lately, and that overall isnt a good thing, as the bigger they get, the harder it is to "protect" itself.
Like weve seen in the states where the power and tele companies were once a monopoly in set areas, let alone nationwide in some instances, the lessoning of such rights has been seen, as well as on medicines etc. It can be argued that cpu/IT can be construed as being as important, and making such licensing in the future obsolete, and this goes for AMDs 64 as well. Itll be interesting how this is interperted, and how it concludes.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Actually it is quite serious. If Intel really does this then there will be one HELL of a legal battle, because it is shaky ground to begin with and Intel can not have a total monopoly which they would without AMD. I can't see this ending well for Intel as I'm sure there would be steps taken to kick Intel's ass for such a blatant power grab.

One thing Ive seen come up is, Intel may have tried to talk to AMD about this, which may be true...BUT, it doesnt matter even if AMD said no, because as stipulated within their agreement, it has to go to mediation before anything else, and it seems Intel may have violated that 2 ways, 1 going public with it by 2, instead of mediation, filing

IA64 is a completely different instruction set. The two are not compatible.

Regarding the Brouhaha: Both companies have a lot to lose. A compromise deal will be reached.

Yea, thats what it is, I just question the timing, not whether its worthy coming from Intel, but the greater question, why? The new one will come up next year anyways, so why now? Intel may be going for a money grab here, may be seeking deflection from the various antitrust cases brought on by AMD in various countries, who knows?

Whats interesting here is, although letting AMD "get away without having to do a redeal", as I can understand this could compromise Intels chutzpah if they dont act now, maybe all this is alot to do about nothing to begin with, as certainly Intel knows they brofe the agreement by filing anyways, and may just be another way of bringing this thing to a head, and thus an agreement

That, and Intel becomes a sitting duck before the courts in the anti-trust litigation PLUS takes the chance that Intel's use of its IP/license in this manner 'enables unfair competition' providing further evidence of 'monopolistic claims' - - - - - thus opening the door for nVidia to enter the legal action as a third party.

It would be nice if we had a real litigator around here. I think Scott may be right but it seems really odd that Intel would choose this battle over TFC when, in effect (from what I can tell, anyway) AMD has complete control over the seating of directors (but not an equal split of profits).

Remember tho, Intel wanted complete transparency on the TFC deal, and this is one way of making it happen. As Intel runs off to TSMC for its dealings with certain designs, you can bet others, a long list, will use TFC as an option, regardless of 86 licensing et al, and this may also concern Intel, which, as much as all the negativity regarding the TFC deal, its limitations , costs etc etc people have all talked about, its possible it may have put a scare into certain companies, Intel certainly not excluded. They could actually be producing nVidia 86 cpus in a few years, as well as all their gpus. Intel wants transparency on the deal, AMD doesnt want to comply, and this may be just another reason as to why this is Intels response

Dameon_Bananaman

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
load of bull****. Nothing will happen from this, AMD wont lose the licence because who are the main users of the cpu's??? Governments including the US government.

The US government would never let this happen, all intel are doing is digging a bigger hole for themselves because they could end up loosing the royalties they got from amd like memory controllers etc.

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
all intel are doing is digging a bigger hole for themselves because they could end up loosing the royalties they got from amd like memory controllers etc.

Do you think AMD OWN-OWN-OWN "memory controllers"? BTW, since when are they "royalties"?