Seagate not showing up

G

Hello,
i have purchased a seagate 500GB external hard drive connected to my pc and laptop both see the usb drive in the device manager no errors showing but is not showing in my computer with the C drive and DVD drive can any one help

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
click on start then right click on computer then click on manage, then click on disk management - find your seagate 500Gb from here - you need to initialize this drive first.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If Windows can "see" that there is a new USB device on your system but does not show it as a "drive" in My Computer, that is because you have not done the required preparation of a new empty HDD.

Check this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=32&post=244697&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

and my post on 05-25-09. Ignore the "not looking in the right place" part - not pertinent to you.

Depending on what OS you are running, things may go as described there - separate steps for Partition Creation and Format operations, OR the two may be combined into one helpful Wizard within which you set all parameters for both operations.