Help. New Build Complete...Am I paranoid?

daviddav

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Here are my specs:

Core i7 920
Asus P6T Delux
G Skill 3x2GB 1333
Sapphire 4870 1GB
Corsair 750
Antec Niine Hundred

So, everything is put together. I've been through the BIOS. I've installed vista. Installed all of the drivers. Been on the computer for hours and hours and no problems at all that I can detect. In my BIOS, it says my CPU is idling around 39 degrees. Here's my problems.

I didn't really change anything at all in the BIOS. I left almost everything on auto. Everything in memory is set to auto. All of the CPU settings are set to auto. I had no idea what to set everything to. Should I go back and change some settings? If so, I have no idea what I'm doing in that department. Any help is much appreciated.

Also, I have no idea how to test and ensure everything is detected and working correctly. I am about to buy a game and test that out. Vista says my TOTAL PHYSICAL MEMORY is 1.99 GB. WHAT THE HELL? I have 6 GB installed. Then, it says total installed physical memory is 6 GB and available physical memory is 4.47 GB. What does this mean?

I guess I should have mentioned that I am not planning on overclocking at the moment. I just want everything running the best they can with my set up.

THANKS!!

What operating system are you running? You might want to install CPU-Z. That will tell you if your RAM is running at its rated speed. If it is, you should be fine to just leave everything on auto. A lot of times you need to manually set the RAM timings and voltage in the BIOS, but that RAM may be running fine with auto settings.

Two questions:

1) Are you using stock cooler? If so, 39c is typical.

2) Are you using Vista 32bit? If so all 6GB of RAM won't be recognized anyhow. Your 1GB of Video RAM will be allocated under the 32bit limitation.

32bit Operating Systems can only handle something like 3-3.5GB of RAM (total). So 2GB of your RAM is being accounted for, and the 1GB of video RAM is also being allocated. The extra 4GB of RAM dimms you've have can't be used/allocated.

If this is your issue, you need to upgrade to a 64bit operating system.

daviddav

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
I should have mentioned that I am running 64 bit Vista Home Premium. Thanks about the CPU temp because yes, I am using the stock HSF.

Cool. Yeah 39c isn't a bad temperature anyhow. So you're fine.

As far as the memory issue. Glad to hear you're running 64bit Vista. :) You might check CPU-Z and see what it shows. If you still aren't seeing the right information, you could also see if your motherboard has any BIOS updates yet that correct a problem.

If Windows does show 4.47GB of free physical memory, that'd be about normal. That would suggest you're using 1.53GB of RAM at idle in Windows, which sounds about right.

That sounds normal to me. It looks like 4.47GB of your 6GB is not being used. It's just telling you the total amount of RAM installed (6GB) and how much of that is available (4.47GB).

daviddav

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
I see. I guess it makes sense. It just bothers me that Windows, under system information says Total physical memory at 1.99 GB. I'm not sure what the difference is between total installed and total physical...

Yoosty

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007

Do you have SP1 install or just the original Vista Premium 64-bit you will need to go to link below for fix from Microsoft.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777

daviddav

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Yes, I have SP1 installed.

Here is a screen shot:

n4928325_45754967_6086.jpg

Yoosty

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
Ok on SP1. Did you place your Ram in the Orange slots, since that is what Asus suggest if you are using 6gb(3x2gb) kit. Lets us know which ram slot you are using!!!

Also, I have no idea how to test and ensure everything is detected and working correctly. I am about to buy a game and test that out. Vista says my TOTAL PHYSICAL MEMORY is 1.99 GB. WHAT THE HELL? I have 6 GB installed. Then, it says total installed physical memory is 6 GB and available physical memory is 4.47 GB. What does this mean?
Just reread your first post. Is the Total Physical Memeory that is showing 1.99gb is from Vista Task Manager. If that is correct, then that means Vista is using that much ram in the Background. Since you also posted that its says it shows 4.47gb available. So I do believe if you add both amounts of ram, it will come out to 6gb.

daviddav

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
I have the RAM installed in channels A1, B1, and C1 as recommended by the user guide. Also, I was reading something about RAM remapping or something like that.......I couldn't find this feature in my BIOS though...thanks for all of the help thus far.