wingfan1991

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
got a system here im cleaning up, formatting and installing vista.. and seems to have a temp issue.

its got an ASUS P5GDC Deluxe and Intel P4 3.2 CPU .. running 2GB of DDR400, ATI X600 PRO video card and 160GB sata drive.

issue is when i check hardware monitor in bios for the temp it shows 85-100C! right off the bat, because when i booted up got errror that CPU Temp error press F1 to resume and then I saw the bios screens.

the chassis fan all show RPM fine, and i see the case fan and cpu fan spinning fine, video card too. the case is a Antec with 350W PSU.

i have now taken off the stock heatsink and cleaned it off (arctic silver) and the cpu too.

now my question is what do you think next step is? just buy arctic silver and re-apply paste? or is there more to it.. do you think its a PSU issue? the system i built it maybe 4-5 years ago, and has never had an issue in regards to temp or shutting off etc.. but when i was installing vista (had XP) it did shutdown leading me to investigate the temp/bios etc..

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
There's a retrofit called the "LGA775 bolt-thru-kit"
that works G-R-E-A-T:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/lgbowiscsp.html

$4.95 + shipping

Ask for Gary Stofer: he's a great guy too and
knows the problem backwards and forwards.

We've bought and used about 4 of those kits to date:
our Intel 640 boots up at 75 degrees F. now
with that LGA775 bolt-thru-kit -- as reported by the
BIOS hardware tab (could be off a bit, but that CPU
is definitely running a LOT cooler now).

Intel's heatsink design is FINE: it's the stupid push-pins
that are causing the vast majority of the overheating problems!!

MRFS

Latest posts