Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Do different Power Supplies change sleep? fans on/off?

Last response: in Components
March 17, 2009 12:37:39 AM

I want my new PC to sleep without my case fans and CPU fans running in standy. I had to change the S1 and S3 settings in BIOS to even get it to sleep. The other way it went into a death reboot when I tried to wake it from sleep. apparently this was because the S! setting didnt alow for the power supply to remain on with power to the sleep components. Do different power supplies change the way a computer sleeps? Do some have a "trickle" voltage that allows for sleep withoput having the motherboard energized? Does anyone know who to ask. I come here because this is the best ont the net!!! I need an intellegent answer. Do power supplies vary in the way they let your computer sleep? I cant justify letting my cpu fan run all the time. I built this machine as a HTPC. It needs to sleep then wake to record then back to sleep. System is Gigabyte GA-EP45_UD3P, Intel Q9650 @3.87, Patriot Viper Ram 1066(8500) 4 Gigs, WD 640 Gig primary and 2 WD750 Raid 0 for storage, and the product in question an OCZ 700 Watt GameXtream. Thanks in advance for any imput! I know I have the right people to ask.
March 17, 2009 12:14:54 PM

Enable hibernation.
June 6, 2011 6:56:51 PM

I have the same problem.

I guess it's the power supply's fault bcs it all started when I switched to a new one to have more available power...

But I wonder if the problem isn't this crappy PSU since it's louder than 3 disks and both case and cpu fans (I didn't even knew it was possible).

I will return it in a few days and I will try to give u some feedback ;) 
Related resources
a c 250 ) Power supply
June 6, 2011 7:33:22 PM

Its important to know what sleep mode is for the computer, sleep simply suspends everything onto the RAM which needs to be kept energized to maintain its data, depending on the motherboard this can result in the fans still running(if they are controlled from the board) as the board is still receiving full power so the power supply is still outputting power which means all the fans on molex connectors will still be running too, using hybrid sleep/hibernate suspends everything to the hard disk and powers the system down fully, it takes a bit longer to resume than normal sleep mode but it wont leave your fans running.
June 6, 2011 7:59:49 PM

They shouldn't; sleeping problems are usually from the motherboard.
a b ) Power supply
June 6, 2011 9:57:35 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!