Sign in with
Your question

Clear CMOS on GA-7N400?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 17, 2010 3:14:36 AM

Hey everybody,
So I recently tried overclocking my old gaming rig from 2004. I was successful to a point, but now my system fails to post. I turn it on, and my monitor doesn't detect any input. From my understanding I should clear the CMOS to reset the BIOS to the original settings.

I looked online and found the manual for a motherboard similar to mine here. It's the GA-7N400-L which is basically the same board with a some SATA ports and other additional features. I read through most of it and I couldn't find a single part detailing how to reset/clear CMOS.

I then searched google and found a few forum posts about it. I tried one way where I simply removed the CMOS battery for an hour. I also tried another method in which I shorted the two pin jumper by the CMOS battery with the battery removed, then I powered the machine on, shut it down, then re-inserted the CMOS battery and turned it on again. Neither of these methods cleared my CMOS.

Is there any other way anybody can think of? Did I do something wrong? Is my motherboard dead?

More about : clear cmos 7n400

May 17, 2010 3:23:43 AM

Oh ya,

SPECS:

AMD ATHLON XP 3000+
GA-7N400
1GB(2 x 512MB) CORSAIR 333Mhz DDR
GeForce FX 5500
Seagate 7GB HDD
Seagate 15GB HDD
May 19, 2010 7:22:38 PM

Those above are the two methods by which a CMOS is cleared (ok, some really expensive MOBOS have a clear CMOS button). Long as you jumpered the right pins and removed the CMOS battery for long enough, then it's not a CMOS issue, but rather your OC fried something issue.

In that case, it's down to testing individual components to figure out what you fried (may be more than 1).
May 20, 2010 5:42:15 AM

Look up a guide on how to reset the CMOS on another motherboard (removing battery and moving the jumper, like banthracis said) and copy-cat that.
!