Overcklockalypse

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Hey everybody,
So I recently tried overclocking my old gaming rig from 2004. I was successful to a point, but now my system fails to post. I turn it on, and my monitor doesn't detect any input. From my understanding I should clear the CMOS to reset the BIOS to the original settings.

I looked online and found the manual for a motherboard similar to mine here. It's the GA-7N400-L which is basically the same board with a some SATA ports and other additional features. I read through most of it and I couldn't find a single part detailing how to reset/clear CMOS.

I then searched google and found a few forum posts about it. I tried one way where I simply removed the CMOS battery for an hour. I also tried another method in which I shorted the two pin jumper by the CMOS battery with the battery removed, then I powered the machine on, shut it down, then re-inserted the CMOS battery and turned it on again. Neither of these methods cleared my CMOS.

Is there any other way anybody can think of? Did I do something wrong? Is my motherboard dead?

banthracis

Distinguished
Those above are the two methods by which a CMOS is cleared (ok, some really expensive MOBOS have a clear CMOS button). Long as you jumpered the right pins and removed the CMOS battery for long enough, then it's not a CMOS issue, but rather your OC fried something issue.

In that case, it's down to testing individual components to figure out what you fried (may be more than 1).