Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 wont detect my ssd

Last response: in Storage
June 9, 2010 4:39:26 PM

Hello,
i have a samsung 256gb ssd that shows up in the bios but wont show up when loading windows. If I put it in as an extra drive it works fine. I have tried in serveral different machines but the same result. Any help would be of great help

More about : windows wont detect ssd

a b $ Windows 7
a c 99 G Storage
June 9, 2010 10:38:14 PM

Is the drive formatted? Does it show up in Disk Management?

start/computer/right-click/manage/disk management

Aren't you installing the OS to it? Windows install will see it, if so. What is your intention for use?

If you are installing is as a boot drive, in must be plugged into the first SATA port (0 or 1 depending on mobo).
m
l
June 10, 2010 1:50:40 AM

Hi,

I had a similar issue, first of all, the SSD doesn't have to be in a particular port (i.e. port 0), BUT you need to make sure that the Startup options in your BIOS point to the SSD right after the optical drive (assuming that's how you are loading Windows setup files).

If this is meant to be your primary drive then Windows setup should do the trick of installing it the proper way, otherwise, if it's another type of drive, like a secondary for backup, etc. you should go to Disk Management (as foscooter indicated) AND look for the drive, then make sure you do the following:

- Click on the block that represents the drive
- Right click and select "create new volume"
- If you will do an install after this, select "make active" (or sth like that)

That should take care of the issue, I had a similar one with an Intel X18-M SSD.

Good luck,
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 99 G Storage
June 10, 2010 1:52:44 AM

^+2. Agree to all.
m
l
!