Restricting access to a website

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

There are lots of ways but never yet one that I've found they can't undo as soon as my back is turned. On a basic level, go into Control Panel>Internet Options?Security>Restricted Sites and add them to the list but the average four year old can get around that one.

The best way is in your router settings and in the firewall. You can disallow a site and even set which hours you allow them on it. Post back if you need details of how to access the router. Set a strong access password to the router though because admin and password are a bit too obvious.

I did that for one customer and the kids telephoned the ISP, answered her "mother's maiden name" security question and persuaded the ISP to tell them how to reset the router to default settings. In another household I used the same trick and the kids were locked out of Facebook. Ten days later I was back because the children were being bullied at school for not being on Facebook.

You cannot win but you can educate them in safe Internet Use. So long as they know they don't take sweets from a stranger in the street they can soon learn the same applies to the Net and in addition, make sure they know a person can be anyone and anything they like on the Net so trust no-one. There are acres of good advice on this UK website http://www.ceop.police.uk/