Sign in with
Your question

Is my CPU fried?

Last response: in CPUs
March 17, 2009 1:17:35 AM

Hi,

Today I installed the nVidia perfermance utility and was mucking around with my cpu frequency. Now I had the slider sitting at 4GHZ and I accidentally clicked apply instead of cancel. My system instantly froze and when I restarted it would no longer boot. Post code is showing FF on the motherboard.

CPU: Intel E8500
MOBO: nVidia 790i Ultra SLI
RAM: 2GB Gskill 1333mhz DDR 3
VIDEO CARD: nVidia 9800GTX+

More about : cpu fried

March 17, 2009 1:22:37 AM

Have you tried resetting your cmos jumper on the motherboard yet?
March 17, 2009 1:26:35 AM

Forgot to add that ><

Removed CMOS battery and reset jumper, still failed to boot.
Removed CPU & reseated, still failed to boot.

The only thing that has me skeptical is the CPU looks no different to when it came out of the box 2 weeks ago which makes me think it might possibly not be fried (hoping like hell)
Related resources
March 17, 2009 2:38:51 AM

For a CPU to be concidered "fried" it does not have to literally be physically transformed. It just has to be broke beyond repair. You probably did break your CPU by accidenatly ocerclocking it that high. You could try to put the CPU into a new motherboard if you have the means to do so but if not you could go into the BIOS and reset all the settings to default. I think that overclocking tools are actually resetting the BIOS in the background. Go back into the BIOS and reset the settings to default... if you have no default option go find the stock setting and use those instead. If this doesn't work you CPU has been fried like a piece of chicken.
March 17, 2009 2:43:47 AM

I cant even get into the bios, im assuming that means ive fried it
March 17, 2009 2:51:03 AM

mamw he said he cant post.
March 17, 2009 3:25:46 AM

For the heck of it..... try unplugging the power supply from ac power & remove CMOS battery & setting the CMOS clear/reset jumper. Leave this way for a minute or so and then reconnect everything.

Just a quick shot in the dark... :) 

BTW... Who Makes your motherboard ???
March 17, 2009 5:41:30 AM

XFX nVidia 790i Ultra SLI

Didnt realise id forgotten that :p 
March 17, 2009 6:16:58 AM

feel sorry for you daemonus

hope ur rig starts working all da best!
March 17, 2009 6:43:43 AM

Yeap well as far as I can tell its fried as fried can be ><

At least I have a little money saved away for a rainy day and I should be able to have it up and running again by the end of the week!

Thanks for the help everyone :) 
March 17, 2009 9:31:07 AM

why dont u try getting it replaced??? give some bullshit story to ur dealer and demand that he replaces ur cpu. tru it if u think thats an option! all da best!
March 17, 2009 11:47:50 AM

Ya a new processor should work.
March 17, 2009 7:14:49 PM

I've been doing some reading and from what I think I understand, the FF post code means it is going to boot. I gather it should read an FF code when everything is working normal. If that is the case, try another video card, even a pci card hopfully one you know is working.

I'de give that a try, I'm kinda skeptical that it's a bad CPU at this point. I'm thinking the MB might have gone belly up instead.

Please let us know what it was when you figure it out, to many posts that end with "Thanks, I fixed it" and no info as to what the fix was. Drives me crazy.....
March 17, 2009 7:21:58 PM

The CPU explains it all. He accidentaly overclocked his CPU to 4GHZ and it immediatly stopped working... how do you get video card out of that?????
March 17, 2009 7:51:53 PM

Before the code reads FF, does it cycle through other codes? IF so, I think the CPU is fine.
March 17, 2009 8:02:24 PM

Ditto.... I'm darn sure if the post code makes it to FF "Boot"... the CPU must be working. Unfortunately, if you don't have a second CPU or MB to test with, it's kinda like fishing in the dark..... So ya gotta use dynamite...!!!! :)  lol
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2009 4:48:58 AM

FF means it has passed every BIOS/board test.
March 18, 2009 8:07:26 AM

Well at the moment the cpu is in transit back to intel so hopefully I comes back working or replaced :) 

My motherboard has an onboard POST code display and as far as I can tell FF shows up both without a CPU in the motherboard (Have tested minus CPU before I blew it -.-) and also POST completed successfully. The other thing is all my fans run at full revs (this also happened without the CPU in before this incident) instead of dropping down.

I doubt it could be anything else as it froze the second I accidentally overclocked the CPU so thats the most likely, if Intel comes back and says the CPU is fine then I guess its the motherboard :( 
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2009 8:13:16 AM

Well, you could not overclock...
March 18, 2009 8:25:11 AM

Yeah true... but in this instance it was accidental :( 

I mean you would have to be pretty stupid to intentionally overclock from 3.16 to 4ghz in 1 go
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2009 8:37:03 AM

hmm... last time I tried from 2.3Ghz to 3Ghz almost killed my motherboard. Just mildly OC it, a good margin between the maximum.
March 18, 2009 10:30:29 AM

Something to consider when you get your CPU back would be to unplug the HDD
before booting.
If I remember correctly the Nvidia utility that you used is software based and writes a log.
When you boot it will read that log and try to implement the last settings thus trying to overclock to that level again.
I think booting to safe mode you should be able to stop the utility from starting but I can not test that theory because I dont have that utility on my system anymore.
Maybe someone who has it on their system can check that out and post back for you.
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2009 10:37:10 AM

Interesting...
March 18, 2009 1:53:19 PM

I think you killed your RAM and not your CPU. Try recalling your FSB:D RAM ratio. e.g. If you had it set to 1.20 or higher, then you have just forced it to 960MHz or just try to calculate (400Mhz x FSB-DRAM ratio). That could be your memory frequency when you clicked apply. I've lost several RAM modules before because of that. I hope this advice helps.
March 18, 2009 2:15:46 PM

A minor correction: after remembering that E8500 has 9.5x and not 10x, this means that your system ran at 421MHz FSB. In your case, I believe 1:1 is your FSB:D RAM ratio. Overclocking the FSB to 421MHz means that your RAM ran at 1684MHz! May it rest in peace.
March 18, 2009 2:22:50 PM

Not that I want to flood this thread. I just want to share this quick workaround and try if this works..this works for me for some time. 1.)Turn off your system 2.)Remove the memory module and turn on your system. 3.)Let it beep to confirm that the CPU and mobo are still working. This means that the system is looking for the RAM. 4. Turn off your system 5.)Put back the modules and turn on. Good luck!
March 18, 2009 5:26:06 PM

The reason I believe the CPU is still working has to do with the Boot or Post sequence. The following is a cut n paste from elsewhere describing the boot sequence.

1. When the computer is powered on, the internal power supply initializes. The power supply doesn't immediately provide power to the rest of the computer. First, it determines whether it can supply the proper voltages that the computer's components require. The power supply sends out a POWER GOOD signal when it determines that it can supply reliable power to the rest of the computer. When the chipset receives this signal, it issues a SYSTEM RESET signal to the processor.

2. When the processor receives the SYSTEM RESET signal, it accesses the jump address for the start of the BIOS boot program at its hard-wired preset address and loads it into RAM. The jump address contains the actual address of the BIOS boot program on the ROM BIOS chip. The jump address is typically located at address FFFF0 (hexadecimal) or 1,048,560 (decimal), which is at the end of the first megabyte of system memory.

3. With the primary part of the BIOS now loaded into RAM, the POST (Power On Self Test) process begins. If any fatal errors happen during the POST process, the appropriate error beep code sounds or sometimes an error message displays, and the boot process stops. At this point in the boot process only the system speaker can notify the user of errors.

4. If all is well, the boot sequence continues and the system BIOS loads the device BIOS of the video adapter and loads into memory. As your computer boots, the video adapter's information displays on the monitor.

5. Any other device-specific BIOS routines, such as those for the hard disks or SCSI devices are loaded. Information, usually including the manufacture and the BIOS version, displays. The BIOS begins a series of tests on the system, including a run-up count of the amount of memory detected on the system. Because the display is no available, any errors found in this process are displayed on the monitor as an error message instead of a beep code played through the system speaker.

6. The system determines if the devices listed in the CMOST configuration data are present and functioning, including test for device speeds and access modes.

7. The serial and parallel ports are assigned their identities (COM1, COM2, LPT1, and so on), and a message is displayed for each device found, configured, and tested. If the BIOS program supports Plug and Play, any PnP devices detected are configured. Although it usually goes by much too fast to read, the BIOS displays a message for each device it finds and configures.

8. The configuration is confirmed. The BIOS displays a summary screen that details the computer as the BIOS sees it. This summary screen signals that the system is verified and ready for use.

9. The BIOS looks in the CMOS data to determine which disk drive to use for the operating system. If the boot device is the hard drive, the BIOS looks for the master boot record. If the boot device is a floppy disk or a CD-ROM, it looks at the first sector of the disk for the operating system's boot program. If the boot program is not found on the first device listed, the next device indicated is searched, and then the third, and so on until the boot program is found. If no boot device is found, the boot sequences stop and an error message is displayed.

So, I surmise that the CPU is still working because the CPU is needed to run the BIOS code that boots the computer. And if the MB post code is making it to a code of FF.... Me thinks the CPU is still good.
!