Sign in with
Your question
Solved

P6T fan speed control not working

Last response: in Motherboards
April 29, 2009 4:13:53 PM

I've connected my 3 fans to the appropriate 3-pin connectors on the motherboard. The temperatures are around 45C so I tried lowering the fan speed somehow to address noise, but no matter what I do the fans run at a constant temperature (1.5k rpm for the CPU fan and 1k rpm for the two case fans).

I enabled Q-fan in BIOS and tried different settings. I ran the Asus Fan Xpert and changed settings. I ran calibration and it shows the same rpms for every % level.

Any ideas?
April 29, 2009 10:24:09 PM

Did you remember to click apply and save the settings. also, have you tried to turn it to turbo to see if the fans will run faster?
m
l
April 30, 2009 5:33:12 AM

I clicked apply, yes, but nothing changed. Also save settings in BIOS, nothing changed. Turbo didn't seem to change anything either :( .
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2009 7:14:22 AM

juu said:
I've connected my 3 fans to the appropriate 3-pin connectors on the motherboard. The temperatures are around 45C so I tried lowering the fan speed somehow to address noise, but no matter what I do the fans run at a constant temperature (1.5k rpm for the CPU fan and 1k rpm for the two case fans).

I enabled Q-fan in BIOS and tried different settings. I ran the Asus Fan Xpert and changed settings. I ran calibration and it shows the same rpms for every % level.

Any ideas?

I've had NO LUCK in using Asus' P6T fan speed controls. Automatic controls for the CPU fan seem to do whatever it is they're programed to do, but changes don't seem to work. And the changes available are CRAP.

In fact, ASUS P6T FAN SPEED CONTROL IS GARBAGE and the company deserves a public flogging for putting such crap into a retail product.

Oh, but it's a good board otherwise.
May 17, 2009 2:52:18 PM

Yeah well I bought akasa 3-fan controller and installed that. Now I can get my system to be quite quiet... except then it hangs on games so I have to remember to turn the fans up before playing them :(  Oh well
m
l
May 28, 2009 12:52:40 PM

Crashman said:
I've had NO LUCK in using Asus' P6T fan speed controls. Automatic controls for the CPU fan seem to do whatever it is they're programed to do, but changes don't seem to work. And the changes available are CRAP.

In fact, ASUS P6T FAN SPEED CONTROL IS GARBAGE and the company deserves a public flogging for putting such crap into a retail product.

Oh, but it's a good board otherwise.

Odd, mine work just fine. I wonder if it was a bios issue that was addressed later.
m
l
May 28, 2009 3:43:17 PM

Which BIOS version do you have?
m
l
May 28, 2009 5:06:30 PM

I got the board last week. I know they released a bios version just a few days ago to fix a problem with sleep mode, so I'm guessing it's the one prior to that.

Their Speedfan program does the trick for me.
m
l
May 28, 2009 5:10:04 PM

Speedfan? Is it from Asus? As I have Fan Xpert that I launch from Asus AI Suite.
m
l
May 31, 2009 11:32:23 PM

Fan Xpert works for me too. I think your fans need to be PWN (?) compliant or something like that. I have the Cooler Master 690 case and it runs all the fans in there, plus my CPU fan. I can change all the speeds, from fixed to variable.
m
l
June 1, 2009 6:24:18 AM

Hmm.... I had thought the fans were fairly dumb devices and just spun depending on the voltage passed to them and that the MB changed that voltage.
m
l
June 1, 2009 12:46:33 PM

Juu,

I am not a hardware expert, but maybe this is the issue (lifted from the Asus site)

With Q-fan enabled, fan control is done in hardware, and SpeedFan et al. will only be able to read the fan speed, not control it. In order to enable software fan control, including SpeedFan and Asus' own utilities such as EPU-6 or Fan Xpert, you need to disable Q-fan.

As for PWR_FAN, this output cannot be controlled at all (either by software or Q-fan). You can run a fan off of this header but it will always run full speed.

As far as I can tell, as far as fan control is concerned, the only difference between the P6T and Deluxe is that the Deluxe has three CHA_FAN headers instead of two, so will allow one more fan to be controlled.
m
l
June 1, 2009 1:32:20 PM

Thanks, I will try that. I thought I did, but I will doublecheck next time I open the case.
m
l
!