Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How does this Sound?

Last response: in Systems
December 20, 2008 8:59:18 PM

This is what I'm going to build, how does it sound. Only thing I'm gonna use for is basically:

Word Processing and documents
Internet
Graphics editing
Uploading photography

Components:

ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

CORSAIR 4GB (2 X 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

XION 600W PSU

LITE-ON CD (burner)/DVD

EVGA e-GeForce 7900 GT GRAFX

Western Digital Caviar WD800BB 80GB 7200 RPM 2MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive

Thanks.

More about : sound

Best solution

December 20, 2008 9:29:32 PM

I take it some of this stuff is left over from last build? The issues I have are as follows.

The CPU is ok, but if you are planning on overclocking it the motherboard will probably hold you back some. The G31s aren't known for their overclocking ability.

PSU: Xion? Really? Unless you are reusing this, switch to a better brand. Heck, if you are reusing this, switch to a better brand. You don't want this to blow up and take out your stuff.

GPU: Another thing I get the feeling you are reusing. The G31 already has onboard video, whats with the 7900GT? You also don't need this card, as you aren't doing anything graphically demanding. If you are buying this, see about getting a more modern GPU, a 43xx card from AMD would be great.

HDD: An old 80GB 2MB cache harddrive? Let me guess, another thing you are reusing? Graphics editing loves ram, which you have, and fast harddrives, which you don't. You don't need a new 1TB drive, but I would look into getting a modern 250-500GB drive.

I'm assuming at this point your trying to upgrade on the cheap. While the mobo, cpu and ram are a good starting point, you still have some issues. Let me/us know if my assumptions are correct about reusing.
December 20, 2008 9:45:17 PM

You are correct, some the parts are being reused. So for basic graphic editing I don't need the graphics card. Thats cool, I was buying for $30. The HDD I got at the university of georgia brand new for $10. I bought two for $20. I don't really plan to overclock so the mobo, cpu and ram is a good combo, am I correct? Are the xion know to blow up?
m
l
Related resources
December 20, 2008 10:07:28 PM

Also, what's a better brand PSU and how many (W)s should it have? Thanks!
m
l
December 20, 2008 10:25:09 PM

PSU wise, I'd go with a Corsair or PC & C, Silverstone. Seasonic. You don't need a very powerfull PSU to run that rig. Any good brand PSU in the 400-500 will do and you could probably go by 380-400 and it would be ok.
m
l
December 20, 2008 11:21:43 PM

This would be a lot easier if you wrote:
Here's what I want to use my build for.
Here's my budget.
Here's what parts I have and want to utilize.
Here's what I want to buy to go with what I have...
m
l
December 21, 2008 12:34:43 AM

Thanks, all except Newf, who was of no help at all...
m
l
December 21, 2008 12:44:43 AM

fatcat said:
PSU wise, I'd go with a Corsair or PC & C, Silverstone. Seasonic. You don't need a very powerfull PSU to run that rig. Any good brand PSU in the 400-500 will do and you could probably go by 380-400 and it would be ok.

By PC & C you mean PC Power & Cooling, right?
m
l
December 21, 2008 2:30:55 AM

Yes, PCP&C is PC Power and Cooling. Up until Corsair came out, the undisputed best in PSUs. Don't be to hard on Newf either. If you had listed things the way he wrote his post, we'd have a lot better idea of whats going on. Giving advice with only a partial (or assumed) answers/questions is a bad idea.
m
l
December 21, 2008 2:40:08 AM

Ok, thanks. And I wasn't being a smart elic to Newf, just didn't see where the post was of any help...until now, thanks. You to Newf.
m
l
!