Sign in with
Your question

Dedicated psu for my gfx card?

Last response: in Components
March 17, 2009 5:39:39 AM

So i have a GTX 260 on its way(yippe!)

And my power supply is ridiculously inadequate its not even funny :o 

Would it be possible to use a 300w or 400w(not sure on exact specs of the two extras i have)

And use one of those just for my new card? i read something about powering them on at different times would be a no no?

Im quite sure i can find some place to put the psu no problem

So would it work and if i just tried it would there be any negative effects possible

So yeah no where above does it say i need you to tell me to buy a psu replacement or recommend a psu just answer the above question i do not need any other solutions :pfff: 

More about : dedicated psu gfx card

a b ) Power supply
March 17, 2009 5:59:00 AM

Well first of all the 300 or 400W tat u say shuld have PCIe connector, which will power the card...else there is no possiblity of using it...(mayb a convertor but not sure)
Next that powersupply shuld provide enuf power on the 12V rail to power the card...So its not possible to give a solution without more info about the powersupply...
March 17, 2009 6:13:36 AM

Hmm...im quite positive il be able to hook it up to the card no problems...what risks will i be taking to test it out?

If you don't know say so please :non:  im not here for guesses and assumptions that could become a bit costly :whistle: 
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
March 17, 2009 6:19:25 AM

rewindlabs said:
Hmm...im quite positive il be able to hook it up to the card no problems...what risks will i be taking to test it out?

If you don't know say so please :non:  im not here for guesses and assumptions that could become a bit costly :whistle: 

Lolz its u who are making a guess work that u can hook up another PSU for the card...ppl will try to help only if u give more info...
And dont say am guessing/assuming tat too u giving so little info abt ur psu or specs...so dont expect ppl can give the correct suggestion then...

Better luck with ur experiment :kaola: 
March 17, 2009 6:45:59 AM

:sarcastic:  The connectors i just bought are the ones destined to work in my soon to buy psu...they will work

And i was rather reluctant to get the exact specs of the psu considering its going to be a pain and if it won't hurt to just try it i wouldn't need to know these before hand :non: 

Iv got the psu right in front of me can you tell me what i should be looking for?

Also is english your first language?(firefox is telling me iv spelled english wrong :pfff:  )
a b ) Power supply
March 17, 2009 8:18:53 AM

We need total watts, and the amperage on the 12v rail(s)
a b ) Power supply
March 17, 2009 10:04:00 AM

And Firefox is telling you that English is spelt wrong because it should be capitalised.
March 17, 2009 10:59:36 AM

An interesting idea!

BUT! You would need to be able to power them both on at exactly the same time. So you could try split the signal from your motherboard to somehow switch on 2 PSU's - I dont know the way to do it as I know the power switch doesnt go straight to the PSU.

Your next problem is that unless you have 2 exact same PSU's they will both power up at slightly different times. This may cause a problem and the GFX card may not power up in time for the motherboard to detect that its on.

My opinion would be that it wouldn't work and would require you doing some fancy modifications to even get them to both switch on and provide power and the risk of damaging the motherboard, GFX and PSU's are high.
a b ) Power supply
March 17, 2009 11:03:46 AM

It is doable, but I can't for the life of me remember where I read about it. Also, he sound like he's about to try pulling the connectors apart and cobbling PCIe connectors on...
March 17, 2009 11:06:52 AM

Quote: "connectors apart and cobbling PCIe connectors on... "

<shudder>
March 17, 2009 12:43:08 PM

Ahh firefox was flaking on me for a second :ange: 

Ahhwell it was a shot in the dark...im not sure of the cables something about

This was the connector i was going on about...building pcs can't say i know much about but im sure its not that hard to grasp...im not about to head into anything risky without research and proper knowledge

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=1...

My gfx card isn't even here yet and im not stupid enough to plug it up like that unless i obtained clear conformation of it not ....... anything up :pt1cable: 

Thanks for the insight tho guys(but tho is a word :heink:  )
a b ) Power supply
March 17, 2009 12:55:33 PM

Erm. What's the connector sorry? the link is to the card...
!