Will overclocking any higher hurt my gpu?

crosko42

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Hello everyone, sorry if this is a common thread, I went through a couple stickys and the first few pages and didn't see a question regarding exactly what I'm asking.

So, yesterday I did a clean install of Win7 Ultimate x32 on my boot drive of my Lenovo T61p.

Specs:
T9300 (2.5GHz C2D)
3Gb ram
Quadro 570m (basically an 8600gt with ddr3)

So I decided to install the modified drivers for a change to see if there were any performance gains made on any of the games I play. After the drivers were successfully installed I decided to venture into overclocking my 570m.

Stock settings:
Core: 475 Mhz
Memory: 700 Mhz

So I am familiar with RivaTuner and decided to use that. I used OCCT to test stability/errors/temps. I am using a program put out by a group specifically for the Thinkpad series which overrides the bios fan levels to allow higher fan settings that are normally hidden (they were left out because they were too loud for some people).

O/C Settings:
Core: 650
Memory: 950

I tested these settings for 2 hours on OCCT and played an hour of Batman AA without any problems. I did the recommended incremental increase on the settings by about 15-20 per run. I stopped at this point because temps were up to 73C after 2 hours of full load (still no errors/BSOD/ect), and I don't know if going any higher will do any damage to my GPU. My idle temps are still in the mid 30's.

I am happy with this level of overclock but if there if it is safe to increase some more I would be glad to get a little added boost of performance.

Just with this overclock I went from running Batman AA at 1280x800 high no AA at 30ish fps, to running it at 1280x800 very high 4xAA at 40avg min of 29. I know those numbers aren't great, but for a laptop intended for school use I feel like its a pretty impressing jump and now performs well in most of my games at reasonable settings.

Thanks for any help.

notty22

Distinguished
I wouldn't.
You most certainly can cook a laptop gpu. Many have done it.
I definitely would not run hours of a modern gpu stress tests on a o/c laptop.
Did you happen to feel the underneath of your laptop ?
That heat effects your motherboard trapped in that confined area, MUCH more than it ever could in a pc case.

crosko42

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

I have a cooling pad, and after the 2 hour stress test the whole computer was still cool to the touch. The air coming from all vents was still cool as well. I think I will keep it where its at anyway, like you said, not worth cooking the laptop.