Vertex 2 Speed...Slower than expected.

Sphinx4311

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Hello, I purchased my Vertex 2 50gb 3 days ago, put my OS on it and it boots Windows fast as hell. But when I run HD Tune it says my SSD Reads at 186 MAX, 165 Average, 116 Min. These seem pretty low in my opinion, are they? I tested my RAID 0 with 2 1tb drives and its Average on HD Tune Pro is 198! Alot faster than my SSD. Whats up? My RAID Controller is ICh10R, and its set as RAID. I was told that the SSD perfomance wouldnt be effected by it being in RAID. That a problem? Are these sats low or just me?

Generally, the bios has 3 settings for SATA transfer mode. IDE mode should be avoided with any modern drive. AHCI is the right choice if you have only single drives, and RAID is the right choice if you want to run a RAID array. On almost all motherboards, RAID mode also enables AHCI, so going from RAID to AHCI would do nothing other than simply eliminating the RAID array.

Oh, and screw you too :sarcastic: .

Mimoso

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
It seems that current SSDs only get close to their rated speed when using large transfer sizes.
If you change the default transfer size in HD Tune from 64K to 1MB you should see better results (File -> options -> benchmarks -> block size).
I have tested my Vertex 2 60GB (which has the same speed as your SSD) on different computers and SATA controllers and have seen results varying from 195 to 245 MB/s so the speed also depends on other system components.