Sign in with
Your question

Dell DVD drive not working

Last response: in Storage
June 10, 2010 6:45:53 AM

Hello Everyone!!! :hello: 
I have a Dell Studio 1555 laptop with Windows 7 installed in it. So here is my story:
My dvd drive was not detecting any sort of disks (Although the drive letter is shown in MY COMPUTER) not even the OS disk so i called Dell Support Staff & they replaced it with a new one(SONY) the LAST MONTH. But now just after a month its gone bad & not detecting any disk. It can't even BOOT from the OS disk ( The disk is SMOOTH without any SCRATCH on it). Now my warranty period is over & cant get it replaced for free. So please help!!!!!!!! :cry: 
These are the few solutions i tried:
#Uninstalling & Reinstalling the driver
#Downloading & Installing new FIRMWARE

More about : dell dvd drive working

Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 10, 2010 7:26:47 AM

Go to Microsoft's site and search, as I recall there's an issue with Win7 and DVD drives which can be fixed in the Registry.
m
l
Related resources
June 11, 2010 4:39:20 AM

aford10 said:
Try running this diagnostic scan.
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

If that doesn't help, try editing your registry.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

I ran the diagnostic utility but it didn't come up with a solution. I did the REGISTRY EDITING thing & in a hurry instead of EDIT & then DELETE LOWER FILTER i just pressed DELETE Key on the keyboard :pt1cable:  & it never asked me for a conformation. Was that okay??? The LOWER FILTER is now not there in my REGISTRY & the UPPER FILTER was never there previously. But the problem still exists :cry: 
m
l
a b G Storage
June 11, 2010 2:06:28 PM

Yes, using the delete key does the same thing.

If you've done the diagnostic scan, deleted the upper and lower filters, and reinstalled the drive, there's not much more you can do. It sounds like the drive is dead.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 11, 2010 7:19:22 PM

If the warranty has expired I would still contact Dell and point out that the consumer durable they sold you isn't proving very durable.

Write that while you understand that the one year warranty has expired, you'd expect the computer to last a great deal longer than that.

In fact though the warranty has expired, that does not affect your normal consumer rights which you will obviously have to exercise if they won't sort out this problematic product for you.

While waiting for a reply I would brush up on your consumer law -- perhaps via the local Better Business Bureau or City, County or State consumer rights staff.

While the law varies from jurisdiction, a warranty does not over-ride the vendor's obligation to supply goods which are fit for purpose.
m
l
June 15, 2010 8:47:27 AM

Quote:
If the warranty has expired I would still contact Dell and point out that the consumer durable they sold you isn't proving very durable.

Write that while you understand that the one year warranty has expired, you'd expect the computer to last a great deal longer than that.

In fact though the warranty has expired, that does not affect your normal consumer rights which you will obviously have to exercise if they won't sort out this problematic product for you.

While waiting for a reply I would brush up on your consumer law -- perhaps via the local Better Business Bureau or City, County or State consumer rights staff.

While the law varies from jurisdiction, a warranty does not over-ride the vendor's obligation to supply goods which are fit for purpose.

I have just joined this forum about 15-20 days before but never knew people here would be this much helpful. Thanks a lot for taking so much pain. :love:  I am having this DVD problem from a month & even had it before as i told you. So now i am really pissed off & just Extended DELL SUPPORT for one more year with accidental damage support including. I called the support guys yesterday & they will come within 48 hrs to repair the thing.
Thanks a lot for sparing your valuable time for me but this problem still prevails as a friend of mine had the same problem some days back, he's gonna get the drive replaced. Likewise, there must be many people with the same problem please keep up the good work & help them :hello: 
m
l
a b G Storage
June 15, 2010 12:19:20 PM

You're welcome,
Good luck.
m
l
June 26, 2011 6:46:36 AM

Hi, even I have the same problem,, I have Dell studio 1555 laptop and the DVD drive is not working now after 1 year...
How to get it replaced when the warranty is over? Many of my friends have the same problem.. They have supplied inferior quality drives in Studio laptops..
m
l
!