Setting up PC to run with Monitor and HDTV

I have a 26" HDTV that i want to link into my system through the HDMI adaptor on my HD 3850.
What im planning to do is leave the monitor on the primary display and set the tv up on the secondary.
Im just wondering if there is any reason this wont work, for instance does the adaptor have to be on the primary display for the adaptor to work properly ?
Should i have it disabled when im not using it ? I have heard its possible to set it up so that i can throw the monitors image over on to the TV which sounds like a neat way of doing things.
Any advice or even a link to a good guide would be appreciated.

Mactronix

merlinbadman

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
It "should" be possible, its just like a normal second monitor. I am able to link the laptop to the LCD TV and it acts exactly in the way you want (but not via HDMI).

Your 3850 uses a DVI to HDMI converter? if that acts in the way a DVI to VGA converter does you should have no problems.

If its going to be a premenent setup, look at getting a copy of UltraMon, great for multi-monitor setups.

Have a go and find out ;)

Ok thanks will be wanting to leave it all set up so i can still game on the monitor and use the TV for watching home movies/DVD's for now and then Blu-ray discs when i upgrade the drive.
The 3850 does use a DVI to HDMI converter so hopefully it will be ok, i was just wondering if the audio was only put out over the primary or something silly like that. You just know these things cant be as easy as you think.
As you say i will get a copy of UltraMon and give it a go.
Is that a download or do i go buy it ?

Mactronix

I think you missunderstood or i didnt make it clear, the ATI adaptor is differant to a standard one in that it carries the audio as well.
What im wondering and i guess i wont know untill i try it is if the audio is feed to both outputs or if its just on the Primary.

Mactronix

Ah, you're right, I forgot about that part.

I don't know if it'll send over the primary outputs or not - I'm thinking if you select the HDMI as an output it will expect to send the audio signal to the TV, too.

At least, it makes sense to me that way.