Zenthar

Distinguished
If you combine CAS4 and CAS5, it will run at the slowest of the 2 (CAS5), unless timing is forced to CAS4 in the BIOS (at which point the CAS5 might be unstable). Moreover, if you get from 2 to 4 dimms of RAM, you might have to play with voltage and CAS settings anyway because of the added strain of 4 vs 2 dimms.

wake4x4paintball

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
so i should get 4-4-4-12 ... is it good for high performance and gaming too?
what about Cas Latency 4 or 5

i have 2gb i wanted to upgrade to 4gb or buy all new 4gb memory and 2gb (current) will move to my other computer

which i should go for? if i get 2 diff kind brand will it still be ok? im thinking about get G skill and CORSair

or give me links which memory is good for my mobo. i have 750 watts PSU, 4870 GPU

sailer

Splendid

Other than what was previously said, another potential problem is presented. You didn't identify whether you have a 32 bit OS or a 64 bit OS. If you have a 32 bit OS, the additional 2 gig of ram will not be fully utilized. Further, it might slow your machine down. I speak from experience from when I added ram to my 32 XP machine. It was slower, besides demanding more voltage to the ram. I switched to using XP64, which allowed full usage of the ram on that machine and gained back some of the lost speed.

If you are using a 64 bit OS, then you'll have full usage of the extra 2 gig of ram, but as others have said, it will run at the speed of the slowest ram. It will also run at 2T timing instead of 1T, though the effect of that is questionable with modern ram. Also, my own opinion is that its best to use ram that is matched by speed and company to avoid conflicts and get the best speed.

Yes, putting in the additional ram should work. But I can't say that it will work better. One way to quickly find out is to use Task manager and note how much ram you are using. If its under two gig when your running a game or business app, then there's no immediate reason to get more ram. On the other hand, if you're using all or even most of the ram, than you'll be better off getting more ram. That's because if you're using near capacity of your ram, the computer is most likely using the hard drive as virtual ram adn that slows the computer down a lot. So if you are using nearly all of the present 2 gig, another 2 gig will be better.

Hope all that helps.

wake4x4paintball

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Vista 32 bit

im trying to decide if i should get new memory for my system and take my current in my other computer.. my current memory is 800mhz drr2 CORSair xm2 4-4-4-12

im wondering if i get new memory with Cas Latency 5 or keep it this way..

sailer

Splendid
Since you have a 32 bit OS, the Vista part doesn't matter, your computer won't see and use over about 3.5 gig of ram in any case, and may well slow down if you try to use 4 gig, as mine did. If your other computer needs ram and can use the extra ram (being a 64 bit OS), then move the 4-4-4-12 ram to that computer, provided it otherwise matches up.

As far as getting new ram goes, ram is so cheap these days that if you want faster ram, its easy to afford. Its not like a few years ago when good ram cost $200-$300 dollars for just 2 gig. If you do buy a new set, I'd look for a 2x2 gig set to get the best timings and least problems.