Your question

Hard drive won't boot

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Boot
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 10, 2010 7:07:46 AM

I recently purchased a new Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB drive to add to my system, and loaded Win7 Ultimate on it. My old hard drive was a Hitachi HDT725050VLA360 Sata II (3 Gb/s) drive, 500 gig. It had Vista x64 ultimate loaded on it.

I took out the old Hitachi and tried to put it in as the boot drive in my second system (I took out the second systems 80 Gig hitachi Sata I (1.5 Gb/s) drive. I assumed, since the 500 Gig drive already had an O/S loaded on it, it would just replace the old drive in the old system. The old system has an ABIT IP35 Pro M/B (which supports Sata II). When I unplugged the 80 gig drive, plugged in the 500 gig drive and rebooted, nothing happened. It did not even POST or beep or anything. The lights on the keyboard seemed to flicker as did the light on the mouse, but that is far as the bootup process went. No video card BIOS boot and obviously I couldn't get into the BIOS.

I took the 500 gig drive off and put the original 80 gig drive back in and it booted fine. I then took the 500 Gig drive and hooked it up as a slave to the primary system (the one with the Samsung TB drive) and when I booted, my system booted off of the Samsung and it saw the Hitachi 500 gig and I had access to all my files on it. I also disconnected the Samsung drive and just put the Hitachi 500 gig drive back in the original system and it booted up fine.

I once again took the 500 gig Hitachi out of the primary system and took it to my backup system and took out its 80 gig drive and replaced it with the 500 gig drive and booted. The same results, the system would not boot or POST or anything. The fans come on and that is all. The code on the ABIT motherboard shows FF, which stands for: Boot attempt (19H).

Anyone have any thoughts as to why the 500 gig drive won't boot on the other system when it seems to work fine with the 80 gig Hitachi drive Sata I that is already attached to it? Thanks.

More about : hard drive boot

June 10, 2010 2:40:04 PM

When you install OS on a HDD with a specific MoBo the OS uses drivers that are compatible to that MoBo and usually will not work on another MoBo. The 500GB and 1TB HDDs were installed on the same MoBo so you can boot from them but the 500GB was not installed on the ABIT IP35 Pro so it doesn't boot. It will happen also with the 1TB HDD. You will need to reinstall windows on the 500GB HDD when it is connected to the ABIT IP35 Pro.
m
l
June 10, 2010 3:02:16 PM

Thank you very much for the answer. I am glad the drive is ok and my system is working as it is supposed to. I will make sure I have all the data off of it and then I will load the new OS on it.
m
l
Related resources
a c 464 G Storage
June 10, 2010 6:19:19 PM

Before you wipe out the Hitachi 500 GB unit, check this. The unit was installed in a different machine and all the drivers that are part of the Win Vista you have installed on the Hitachi 500 GB disk are for the devices in its original machine. You do NOT have all the right drivers for the older machine with the ABIT mobo. The solution usually is called a Repair Install, and you need the original VISTA Install CD for this. Ideally also you need access to the most up-to-date drivers for the ABIT mobo.

Put the 500 GB unit in the ABIT-based older machine. Put your Vista Install CD in its optical drive and boot from the Install CD, similar to a normal Install process. BUT DO NOT run a normal Install! Find the menu item that does a Repair Install and run that. This process takes an inventory of all the devices in the machine it finds itself in (and there are at least a dozen "devices" needing drivers on the mobo itself), compares that to the drivers found on the HDD, and then fixes all the mismatches. When done, shut down and remove the Install CD and boot normally from the HDD. It should work. Ideally at this point you should update ALL the drivers in the system. After that your older machine with the transplanted 500 GB Hitachi drive ought to perform properly. This process does NOT destroy any data on the HDD, nor does it require re-installing Vista and all the applications on that HDD unit.
m
l
June 10, 2010 6:25:24 PM

Paperdoc, thanks for that input. I will try that instead so I can salvage the stored data and give me time to get all I want to get off of that hard drive to my new drive. Eventually I will do a clean install of Win7, but in the meantime, I can have it running and see what files I am missing so I can still get them.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 12, 2010 2:34:08 AM

Maybe it is not on the boot sector? Replace the boot disk?
m
l