CarolsHeavenlyGarden

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I have the opportunity to buy form a university their surplus Dell Optiplex GX280, Pentium 4 2.8GHz Processor, 512 MB, 40GB SATA Hard Drive, CD-RW & DVD-ROM optical drive(s), 15" LCD Monitor for $190.00. Is this a good deal?
Is this a good computer? How old? Just a Working stiff with a computer from 2001. Looking for something to replace this one. Maybe speed up but work ok?

chiller

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
hhmmm Optiplex GX280, we have a pile of those at my workplace ... they tend to pack up after a few years of use. We have found the caps blow on the motherboard or the CPU fan decides to go at full speed for no reason, sounds like a jet taking off!!! Only a mobo change seems to fix it, I would steer clear.

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
It's not a good deal, really. I picked up an Optiplex 280 with better specs off of eBay for $100 shipped, no monitor. Makes a good BF2 server.

The caps issue affected the 270 mostly; only the early 280's had this problem. But if you do go with the deal, check the caps first to make sure none are bulging or leaking fluid from the bottom.

Good Luck.

Bushwacker

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I have the same setup but with 2x80gb hd's 305w psu and 1 gb ram. bought it used but checked it out real good for a couple of days running system checks to see if they're were any problems cropping up before buying. It's been problem free so far. Suggest you do same before buying. And I would add an extra 512mb of ram it will run better. if you can afford it. If not get rid of any programs you don't need defrag regularly or download smartDefrag by ioBit and ccleaner and use them constantly and it will run like a champ. Good luck

Raul R

Sorry no it is not a good deal. It is basically 5-6 years old and they do die around that time. I ahve them at work and they always have the fan on high that ends up dying around this time.

My manager here tried to tell me these PCs were only 3 years old.... I almost wanted to laugh but didn't want to lose my job.

singingigo

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
I don't think it's a great deal for $190. But for ~$125 I'd take it....

It's a decent P4, you need more memory, but the motherboard has SATA connections and a PCIe slot, so you can put in a basic video card for day to day multitasking/mild gaming/online video. I wouldn't use it as a file server cuz the energy consumption is bad compared to a cheap miniPC.

edit: Did't see that it included an LCD...it's a bad deal....you aren't getting ripped off. I don't know if I would do it, but hey...we all got different needs.

TRENDING THREADS