anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
ECS RC410-m ATi chipset.
Had for almost 2 years now.
Due to the crappy support on ECS' behalf, I posted the specs from the HP site. The ECS site supports the rc410-m2, but it's not the same.

I have never used the onboard video before. Never. I decided, just so I could say I did, to do it.
I uncapped the VGA slot and enabled it through the bios.
I am using Windows 7 build 7000 x64
Soon as windows is loaded, I get the message "out of range" on two different 1280x1024 monitors using different cables. I can't correct this from settings in he monitors themselves.
I tried booting into safe mode, but with the same result.

Any suggestions on getting the onboard working? I know its never been used, but I felt it may get used atleast once before junking the mobo.
Evetually I'll also see if I can have the onboard and dedicated work at the same time, allowing me a tri display (compared to my dual with just the dedicated 4670).

I'll try booting from a live linux and see if that works.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I was wrong, it's a radeon express 200.

I also got it working, somehow.

The x200 is as follows.
4y2.png

64MB onboard without any memory options in the bios.
However...
asd.png

This is telling me it has 512 mb of ram.
I have a 512 mb 4670 in the pcie slot. I have a tri-display running at the moment, and thus two are running through the dedicated card.
The dedicated card is currently only running for the vga/dvi slots through my knowledge.

Is this a reporting error, is it using my dedicated memory, what?

In device manager, both the 4670 and x200 are recognized.
No matter which monitor I use, my 3d performance is that of the x200.

The onboard video uses shared memory, or your system RAM for memory. It does not have dedicated memory of it's own...it is using your system RAM, up to 256 meg, and it varies depending on what you are doing. You can set this in the BIOS for the max you will allow it to use, or you should be able to. Don't know for sure about your paritcular ECS board, it might not have settings to change it at all.
Windows is displaying simply what it detects from both cards. It is picking up the 512 meg of dedicated memory from the GPU, and the amount of RAM reserved by the onboard video currently, and combining it to giev you a total amount of video memory used. But, the onboard Video is using your system memory or RAM, not the dedicated memory from the add in GPU. That makes it just slightly faster than molassas in December, in northern Wisconsin.

Not sure why they both are displaying the same general performance, unless for there is a driver problem/conflict between the old onboard and the newer GPU.
ECS are like the bottom of the barrel el cheapo motherboards. Usually you get these things from places like Frys when they have motherboard/CPU combo sales. You pretty much get the combo for like $15 over if you just bought the CPU by its self.