Help! ASUS crapped on me!

grandpa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Finally got everything running by reinstalling Vista. This message about fd*** kept popping up wanting to know if I wanted to run it. After 30 times of saying no and searching for it and finding nothing, I decided to see what it was. AAAAAAAAAAAH. It was freeDOS and now it has my computer in bondage and I know nothing of DOS commands to go around it and get RID of it. It wants to format a floppy or it will destroy the world (or not let me on my computer). How can I get rid of it when I can't get into my OS (Vista). I don't know if I'm in the right forum but I have no where else to turn.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Take the driver disk out of the DVD drive.

r_manic

Administrator
What the heck are you talking about man? First of all, how is this related to ASUS? Next, how did FreeDOS end up on your system? Why not just reinstall Vista, but this time make sure to reformat your hard disk before it installs? Do you have important data on your hard disk(s)?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Calm down. FreeDOS is the boot system Asus uses on its driver DVD.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
^+1

Secondly, set your HDD as the primary boot device in the BIOS, then that will not happen again (I made the same mistake when I recently swapped out my board for an ASUS)(Lasted through 2 boots, I corrupted the first install). The issue deals with the fact that the ASUS driver disk is bootable, for recovery purposes. However it wreaks havoc with people who forget to re-set their primary boot device before installing the ASUS drivers (reboots 4 times while installing).

grandpa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I didn't think it was funny. I did have the ASUS disk in the DVD drive. And it does say ASUS boot something or other. Thanks for the tip, IH8U. God, "Tom's Hardware Team", you are a handsome brute. Muchas garcias!