dave8624

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
I was reading a review on the XHD3000 and it says you need dual link dvi to get 2560 x1600 res, which the said dual link is SLI. Since the GTX 295 is two graphics cards, will it power the XHD3000 @ 2560 or do i need two of them?? i cant imagine that, but i wanna make sure b4 i buy nething. thnx

javimars

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
neg. dual link dvi means u need to feed 2 dvi into the 30" lcd monitor for a resolution of 2560x1600. only 30" lcd monitors can do that high of a res(as far as i know).

Zenthar

Distinguished
To my knowledge, dual-link doesn't even have to do with the SLI and/or # of connectors (I don't know for sure, I don't have a 30" screen), it has to do with the # of pins on the DVI connector. Seek Wikipedia for details.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Dual-link DVI is a newer type of DVI plug, that's identifiable by the fact that it has no gap in the main "grid" of digital pins. Single-link DVI has two 3x3 squares of digital pins, of which 6 (the ones farthest from the analog "cross" of pins at the opposite end) are data pins. there is a small-ish gap between them.

With a dual-link DVI plug, that gap is filled in by an additional 6 digital data pins, bringing the total to 12. The other 12 include 4 shielding pins, a +5v/ground pair to provide standby power, and 6 other clock/signal/sync pins. (none of which need to be doubled for a higher-res monitor)

Alternatively, BEFORE dual-link plugs existed, the same effect was achieved by using two single-link DVI cables. However, pretty much all modern video cards in the past several years use dual-link ports.