Sign in with
Your question

Dvd slowed down to a crawl

Last response: in Storage
June 10, 2010 2:01:43 PM

Hello,
I have an asus dvd/cd rom that is supposed to read at 48x. I had been importing cd music cds into itunes and the reads were around 45x which was great. After importing a few hundred cds at this speed I needed to copy a data cd to my hard disk. There was a problem reading the disk so I had to abort the copy. I then went back to importing music cds and now the read speed is around 5x. I tried to reinstall the driver with no luck. I disabled my anti-virus software still no luck. so... what might be causing the problem and how can I get this unit to start reading at 48x?
thanks for the help
john

More about : dvd slowed crawl

a b G Storage
June 12, 2010 12:32:05 AM

Try updating the firmware (not the driver), as it will sort of "reset" the drive. If that doesn't work, it may be that the drive is on its way out. How old is it?
m
l
June 18, 2010 7:41:33 PM

buwish said:
Try updating the firmware (not the driver), as it will sort of "reset" the drive. If that doesn't work, it may be that the drive is on its way out. How old is it?

thanks for the reply
I just replaced the drive with a new one and I am still having the same problem. Could it be something in the bios?

john
m
l
!