Keyboard + Motherboard = Death

hiyoal

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Ok, here goes.

I have just bought a brand new system custom built and I now have problems with my keyboard. It is not as much my keyboard but my motherboard.

There is one USB port at the back which works perfectly but the other 7 in the back do not respond to my usb mouse or keyboard and only usb HDD devices.
I have a GB-EP45-UD3P motherboard and when I plug my keyboard into my system it responds during BIOS Setup and all but not in windows. Although, when in the cmos settings i cannot type the letters "1", "q", "a", "z". They just dont work and sometimes they work but they type things like..."as" and "qwe".

I have tested my keyboard on 2 other computers and it is completely fine, works perfectly. I just cannot fix this problem.

Is it my Motherboard which is the problem?

Please respond :)

Hiyoal

Could be. If you have a PS/2 port you could try the good ol PS/2 keyboard. Maybe your BIOS just doesn't like the keyboard. That would be pretty weird, but not impossible. When you have a misbehaving USB device the motherboard can have trouble using any of the other USB ports, but I haven't seen that problem lately with newer boards. If it works with a PS/2 keyboard and then all your USB devices are fine, then you have your answer. If you use the PS/2 keyboard and your USB ports still don't work, then I guess you may want a new board.

bilbat

Splendid
GB MOBOs are known to be very picky about strict adherence to the USB specifications; often, older devices either simply will not work, or, even worse, will cause reboot loops. Also, be sure to have "Legacy USB Storage Detect" disabled in the 'Integrated Peripherals' BIOS page, unless you are booting from a USB device...

hiyoal

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
PS/2 keyboard does work, and so does the usb keyboard in 1 of the 8 slots, same with my mouse.

None of the other usb slots work for my usb mouse or keyboard with 2 different types of kyeboards/mouses.

I think it is my motherboard but ill reset the BIOS password as ive forgotten the password and Ill go what bilbat suggested with the Legacy USB Storage Detect and the Integrated Peripherals.

Thanks,

Hiyoal

hiyoal

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Well, I tested out the slots again while in windows and my mouse has worked on all ports (Finally) and I tested my keyboard out on another computer and it had the same problem.

I got a replacement and it works all fine now, glad it wasnt my MOBO.

You can close this topic if you like, question answered.

Thanks for all your help,
Hiyoal