Sign in with
Your question

9800GTX+ Causing problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 13, 2009 6:33:03 PM

Hello,

I have been having this issue since I switched to a 64 bit OS. Althought I dont know if I gave it enough time with the 32 bit before I switched.

Anyways, When I have my 9800gtx+ installed, I can get about an hour of WoW before my system will lock up with a bunch of pink line across the screen. I thought that It was a faulty 9800, so I returned it bought a new one and all was good for about half the day.

Drivers/BIOS/Windows Updates...everything that can be updated is.

When I install my 1950pro, it works no problem. So I dont know if my motherboard just doesnt like the 9800 or what.

Specs are

Intel D2C 1.86ghz (o/c to 2.4)
Asus Commando Motherboard.
750w Thermaltake Toughpower PSU
4gb Mushkin HP2 PC6400
Vista 64 bit (tried XP 64 bit)

My buddy has the same card, with a SLI board from asus and has no problems. Could this be an issue?

Any Ideas?
January 14, 2009 4:34:23 AM

anyone?
January 18, 2009 10:02:51 PM

I'm having the exact same problem using the system for maybe an hour or so then it locks up, the vista desktop gets horizontal dashes across the screen, you can still see the icons and part of the desktop but you cant ctrl alt del, I have to shut mine down from the tower on/off button then leave it for a minute or so to fire it back up then it will work for a while until it locks up again.
I asked in PC world today they told me to come in and swap my graphics card with another I've only had it since the 10th of Jan not sure wether that will resolve it.

The ECS website I've looked on tonight has a BIOS upgrade to fix some issues on PCI X16 and also to do with the qualified vendor list regarding memory modules not really happy about poking around inside the BIOS setting jumpers etc.
I dont know if there is a limitation on what the maximimum size of graphic card a motherboard can take there isn't anything in the instructions I've got for my motherboard bundle!!

I did wonder if it was the Lcd monitor its over 3 years old I dont know how long they last for and I did look for updated drivers for it?

I did go into system manager and it said everything was fine and no conflicts

My system spec's are ECS GeForce 7050m-m motherboard socket AM2+
ATHLON 64X2 6000+ CPU
SEAGATE 500 GB HDD
QUIET PSU 520 watt 40 amps on the 12v RAIL (9800 GTX+ NEEDS Minimum 475 Watt @
26AMPS OR MORE)

2 GB DDR2 667 MHZ KINGSTON VALUE RAM
WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM 32 Bit
SOUND BALSTER AUDIGY SE PCI CARD

I use mine mainly for FSX FLIGHT SIMULATOR this is where I get the most problems the graphics are fantastic and the card allows nearly every setting to be maxed out really immersive.

The problems didn't happen with the onboard graphics as I'd just finished building my Pc and installed FSX just to see how it ran in Vista, no not very well, this was before I installed the Nvidia 9800 gtx+ I hope maybe this helps you and also someone out there may be able to help the both of us!!
Related resources
January 18, 2009 10:16:29 PM

maybe a case of nvidia's bad vista drivers, im not a big nvidia fan so i dont know if they sorted the problems they where having with vista and there drivers
January 18, 2009 11:10:20 PM

doesn't sound like a driver issue unless there are pieces of an older video driver reaking havoc.
might want to clean up any older device drivers on the system and download the newest drivers from Nvidia. don't even mess with the drivers on the CD that are outdated before the card ships.
January 19, 2009 8:11:12 PM

Thanks roofus I'll give it a try see how I get on cheers starman57
March 7, 2009 2:50:33 PM

Yeah, ever since I've installed Vista the same thing has happened to me, but not as often. It happens maybe once a day or maybe not at all. The pink lines will show up any time at all like during listening to music on the internet, playing a game, or looking at pictures. I guy I know said that it might be a rendering error, but I don't know how that could happen while not in-game. It really bugs me. I will try and update my device drivers and see if that works though.
March 7, 2009 4:42:44 PM

Denilis said:
Yeah, ever since I've installed Vista the same thing has happened to me, but not as often. It happens maybe once a day or maybe not at all. The pink lines will show up any time at all like during listening to music on the internet, playing a game, or looking at pictures. I guy I know said that it might be a rendering error, but I don't know how that could happen while not in-game. It really bugs me. I will try and update my device drivers and see if that works though.

Hi Denilis I tried new drivers direct from Nvidia web site but still got same problem. I took photos of the screen and showed one of the tech guys at PC World and still didnt get an answer, so I returned the BFG 9800 GTX+ and swapped it for a PNY 9600 GT OC and since then it has performed without fault and the flight sim still runs at a high enough level to be immersive.

I have also used ATI cards but they dont seem to works as well on FSX as Nvidia and if you use X plane flight sim they recommend Nvidia as well, hopefully I dont open a can of worms as to which company is the best, at the end of the day its down to personal choice just look at the forums, it also depends as to what applications you want to run mine is purely for FSX and X plane other applications probably work better with an ATI card just think of the same anology in respect of cars or motorbikes!!

Before I returned the card I ran Si Soft Sandra and Memtest with the old card it ran fine and no problems found. I then spent hours trawling forums to find an answer except I found a lot of people with similar problems and no resolution, the tech guy at PC World said when I turned off the machine from the tower it then cleared the gpu memory and restarted ok until it happened again. The only intensive application I run is FSX flight sim it didnt crash on other applications.

I wonder if it was a manufacturing fault in a batch of that particular card ie. memory etc.,PC World said the card would be returned to BFG for testing but I wouldnt get an answer as to why! I dont think it was vista causing the problem as a lot of the forum queries were from people running XP.

I'm sorry if this doesnt help you, its so frustrating when you spend time trying to use the computer and spend half the time trying to get it to run properly.

Best regards Starman57
March 9, 2009 12:13:54 AM

Thanks for letting me know about it and I hope BFG Tech can figure out what's wrong. I was just playing LotR Conquest and instead of locking up the game went into a green shady scree where I could still see a little of what was going on. This is the first time I've seen something bad happen since I installed the latest drivers from NVIDIA, version 182.08. As I type this the graphics card is acting weird. It's showing little dots all over the screen, but not locking up. Sound works fine, network card is fine, nothing else is wrong. :??: 

Denilis
March 14, 2009 12:33:41 AM

It's been a few days since a bad experience with the graphics card. I think the driver fixed it, but I will watch for more errors and report back just so it might help somebody else.

Denilis
!