Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

eBook in .txt, how to get to Palm?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 5:38:47 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

I have an ebook that is in .txt format and I want to be able to read it on
my Palm. How do I do it? When I try to copy it will wants to go to a SD
card and I don't have it yet. Right now I have a M130 but I should have my
Zire 71 and Card early next week. Is there something I need to do to
convert it to a format for the Palm?

TIA

More about : ebook txt palm

Anonymous
August 6, 2005 8:40:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 01:38:47 +0000, Puppy Lover wrote:

> I have an ebook that is in .txt format and I want to be able to read it on
> my Palm. How do I do it? When I try to copy it will wants to go to a SD
> card and I don't have it yet. Right now I have a M130 but I should have my
> Zire 71 and Card early next week. Is there something I need to do to
> convert it to a format for the Palm?

Yes.

Palm apps (usually) don't work with files in their native format. You
need to convert the file to a palm database that your eBook reader can
handle.

So, first you need an eBook reader program. It ought to support the "Palm
DOC" database.

Then get a "make doc" program (see PalmGear.com). This program will take
a text file and make a palm database in a "Palm DOC" format.

Install the reader and your palm database eBook and you should be all set.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 6:10:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Hi,

Ranma wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 01:38:47 +0000, Puppy Lover wrote:
>
>
>>I have an ebook that is in .txt format and I want to be able to read it on
>>my Palm. How do I do it? When I try to copy it will wants to go to a SD
>>card and I don't have it yet. Right now I have a M130 but I should have my
>>Zire 71 and Card early next week. Is there something I need to do to
>>convert it to a format for the Palm?
>
>
> Yes.
>
> Palm apps (usually) don't work with files in their native format. You
> need to convert the file to a palm database that your eBook reader can
> handle.
>
> So, first you need an eBook reader program. It ought to support the "Palm
> DOC" database.
>
> Then get a "make doc" program (see PalmGear.com). This program will take
> a text file and make a palm database in a "Palm DOC" format.
>
> Install the reader and your palm database eBook and you should be all set.

This works, and is free. I just want to add that I love the iSilo reader
and iSiloX converter. iSilo reader is not free, but it's really good
value. The converter also allows you to grab HTML pages, either from
your HD or from the web. It's a great software, I use it for years and I
still love it.

Laurent
Related resources
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 3:53:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Puppy Lover <No-email@addy> aszonygya:
:I have an ebook that is in .txt format and I want to be able to read it on
:my Palm. How do I do it? When I try to copy it will wants to go to a SD
:card and I don't have it yet. Right now I have a M130 but I should have my
:Zire 71 and Card early next week. Is there something I need to do to
:convert it to a format for the Palm?

You can do many things. The simplest? Use TealDoc which can read .txt files
residing on SD cards [as I recall]. Or use a [free] DOC converter such as
MakeDocJ which converts between .txt and DOC .pdb.

/PaulN
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 11:49:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Paul Nevai wrote:
> Puppy Lover <No-email@addy> aszonygya:
> :I have an ebook that is in .txt format and I want to be able to read it on
> :my Palm. How do I do it? When I try to copy it will wants to go to a SD
> :card and I don't have it yet. Right now I have a M130 but I should have my
> :Zire 71 and Card early next week. Is there something I need to do to
> :convert it to a format for the Palm?
>
> You can do many things. The simplest? Use TealDoc which can read .txt files
> residing on SD cards [as I recall]. Or use a [free] DOC converter such as
> MakeDocJ which converts between .txt and DOC .pdb.
>
> /PaulN

I'll further muddy the waters by mentioning that Plucker is free. Last
night, I took three .txt documents and used its right-click function to
convert them to Plucker, then synched them onto my Palm.

If a text document doesn't look right, PDAconverter can fix that before
you convert it to Plucker.

Once you get the hang of it (shouldn't take too long), it's fast.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 11:47:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Ditto ... I use ISilo and ISiloX and think they are the best, easy to use
and worth the cash.

Barb


"Laurent Bugnion" <lbugnion@bluewin.ch> wrote in message
news:42f4a8c4$1_1@news.bluewin.ch...
> Hi,
>
> Ranma wrote:
> > On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 01:38:47 +0000, Puppy Lover wrote:
> >
> >
> >>I have an ebook that is in .txt format and I want to be able to read it
on
> >>my Palm. How do I do it? When I try to copy it will wants to go to a
SD
> >>card and I don't have it yet. Right now I have a M130 but I should have
my
> >>Zire 71 and Card early next week. Is there something I need to do to
> >>convert it to a format for the Palm?
> >
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > Palm apps (usually) don't work with files in their native format. You
> > need to convert the file to a palm database that your eBook reader can
> > handle.
> >
> > So, first you need an eBook reader program. It ought to support the
"Palm
> > DOC" database.
> >
> > Then get a "make doc" program (see PalmGear.com). This program will
take
> > a text file and make a palm database in a "Palm DOC" format.
> >
> > Install the reader and your palm database eBook and you should be all
set.
>
> This works, and is free. I just want to add that I love the iSilo reader
> and iSiloX converter. iSilo reader is not free, but it's really good
> value. The converter also allows you to grab HTML pages, either from
> your HD or from the web. It's a great software, I use it for years and I
> still love it.
>
> Laurent
!