Ethernet + Router Problem -- extremely weird -- please help

flohagenbuch

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Hi guys,

After installing a new D-Link DIR-825 Router at home, I am having an extremely weird problem with one of the computers that I connected to the router through a LAN port. Please note that I am an advanced user, and posting in this forum is kind of a last resort for me. I have tried many different things, but I am stuck now.

After the setup, I had three computers connect successfully to the internet -- one MacBook Air (wireless only), one Sony Vaio (wireless + wired) and one Acer Aspire (wired only). I initially configured the router, which is placed in an office downstairs with the Acer. The problem now remains with a Dell Dimension E520 (wired only), placed in my room one story above the office.

Here is the problem: for some reason, I cant get a good IP address to be assigned to the Dell. You can see below that it is pulling a 169 IP, when it should be a 192.168 one. The routers address is 192.168.0.1. What makes me freak out the most however, is that when I took the computer down to the office and tried using another cable to connect to the router, it worked perfectly.

That made me believe the problem lied in the cable itself, so I exchanged it for a new one. But, no luck... the Dell would still not work. When I tested the Vaio with the same cable the Dell uses upstairs, it would connect flawlessly. The problem must lie somewhere in the configuration of the Ethernet... I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out.

This is what I tried to do so far:

1. Exchanged all ethernet connectors

2. Exchanged the entire cable for a new one

3. Used two different cables to connect the Dell to the router, downstairs, worked without any problems

4. Updated router firmware and Ethernet driver

The ipconfig is below (all in portuguese, sorry about that).

Thanks guys.

--------------------

Configuração de IP do Windows

Nome do host . . . . . . . . . . . : [removed]
Sufixo DNS primário. . . . . . . . :
Tipo de nó . . . . . . . . . . . . : híbrido
Roteamento de IP ativado . . . . . : não
Proxy WINS ativado . . . . . . . . : não

Adaptador Ethernet Conexão local:

Sufixo DNS específico de conexão . :
Descrição. . . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82562GT 10/100 Network Connecti
on
Endereço Físico. . . . . . . . . . : 00-16-76-DE-DF-0C
DHCP Habilitado . . . . . . . . . : Sim
Configuração Automática Habilitada. . : Sim
Endereço IPv6 de link local . . . . . : fe80::8cfa:bc51:4373:b8a%8(Preferenci
al)
Endereço IPv4 de Configuração Automática. . : 169.254.11.138(Preferencial)
Máscara de Sub-rede . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Gateway Padrão . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Servidores DNS . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS em Tcpip . . . . . . . . : Habilitado

phlatline

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I assume you have tried switching the port being used on the router(switch) with the dell's ethernet cable.

As a work around, try setting up the dell with a static IP address and see if it can ping the router.