[PSU] Suggestion of New PSU for my System

nednerb

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Hello I purchased a new video card online this morning, however I also require a new Power Supply to run my computer efficiently once I install the new part. I have a general understanding how computers work, and don't know much about certain things like PSU's and what their stats means.

My new card requires the following:
450Watt or greater power supply with 30Amps on 12 volt with 2x4 power connector recommanded.

My system specs are:
P4 3.0Ghz
3GB DDR Ram
512mb ati hd3850(new video card)
2 DVDR/DVDRW/CDR/CDRW Combo Drives
2 HDD's IDE 7200rpm
2 USB's connected

This is my current power supply:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermaltake-psu-roundup_18.html

The Video Card says 450Watt required, but when a run a Wattage Calculator it says I only require 300Watts (with this same video card), but I understand that the biggest thing to worry about here is how well the PSU can handle under load, in which I'm assuming (don't really know) that it cannot.

What do you suggest is a good PSU that can handle the power required by this video card and is relatively cheap.

But if u really don want to spend even $50, then get the cooler master xtreme power series...they are not efficient but can easily handle ur system requirements...So get the 460W or mayb even the 500W PSU...they shuld be below $40...

nednerb

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
thank you, I appreciate everyone's input, and have decided to go the VX550. Seems decent and allows room for minor upgrades if need be.

nednerb

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
Corsair - 550W Corsair VX-550 ATX Power Supply, 120mm fan, PCI-E Graphics Card Connector, 6x SATA Connectors, Universal AC input 90~264V

Please forgive me if this is a noob question, learning new things everyday with parts I never took into consideration when i built the PC.

Can I still use an AGP graphics card with this PSU?