M7NCD Ultra, Athlon XP 3200 and Corsair XMS TWINX2048-3200C2PT not stable

lackito

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Hi all, I just bought a matched pair of Corsair XMS TWINX2048-3200C2PT (2x1GB) to replace a smaller Crucial unmatched pair of 1GB (2x512MB). I've tried Optimal settings (automatically detected by MB to 3-3-3-8) and Expert (manually set to 2-3-3-6 as speced by Corsair). In both situations the system boots fine but fails on prime95 within 15 mins. Can anyone please help, otherwise I'm returning the memory modules. The memory that I replaced (Crucial 2x512MB 3-3-3-8) was very stable and passed all prime95 test and mem86 also. The corsair website recommended this module for this motherboard. :(

Does anyone have any insight here? Perhaps a settings issue? or is it a compatibility issue? Any help is greatly appreciated!! TIA!!

Biostar M7NCD Ultra
AMD Athlon XP 3200 running at 2.2GHz (200x11)
Corsair XMS TWINX2048-3200C2PT

P.S: The recommended DRAM voltage from Corsairs reads 2.75V, however I only have 2.7V or 2.8V available in BIOS, I've tried both but no luck.

TIA,
lackito

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006

Have you flashed the latest BIOS? Also, does your chipset support 2 x 1GB?

lackito

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
I should have the latest BIOS, unfortunately the biostar website shows a blank page for this mobo's BIOS so I can't really check. I will try to find out elsewhere.

However I ran into this in the Corsair website:

=================================
Why are the timings shown in the SPD set to CAS 3?
All of our XMS-3200C2 will have their SPD set to JEDEC defined values for the specific memory IC used to make that part. This is done to ensure maximum compatibility with a wide variety of motherboards. The tested settings Cass 2-3-3-6 for Intel and Cass 2.5-3-3-6 for AMD need to be manually set in the BIOS.
===================================

I have an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ so I will try a CAS of 2.5 which I have not tried yet, hope this works!! Thanks a lot for your reply!!

lackito

lackito

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
I will try the one stick a time approach also in case the 2.5-3-3-6 memory timings don't work. Also, should I be increasing the CPU voltage?? (I'm not overclocking, I have this in the default setting)

lackito

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
UPDATE STATUS: PROBLEM SOLVED!!
Thanks everyone, your suggestions were very helpful!!

So I tried one stick at a time with 2.5-3-3-6 memory timings and both sticks passed the prime95 test with no problem. I didn't want to update my BIOS because I don't have a floppy drive installed but I figured this was the next variable to test in the equation. I updated the BIOS to the most current available in the biostar website using a bootable CD (modified a bootable CD ISO image from bootdisk.com). Some hardware (ATA/RAID, built in sound card) were rediscovered and I had to point them to correct location. I let prime95 run over night with both memory sticks installed and NO MORE ERRORS!!!

Thanks all!!