Anyone got a extra video card or gaming computer they don't want?

shadowstark8

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Anyone? My parents are teachers and they can't afford to give me any money. For the last 2 years Ive been trying to play the few games Ive had, but with all the updates and the 40Gig memory my computer has I have just about ran out. So I just want ask the community if any one has recently upgraded their graphics card and doesn't want their old one because my current one is a nvidia gefore 5500 and with my 512mb of ram it really can't run crap (like warcraft) and my computer sucks. If anyone is kind enough to donate a graphics card to me or anything I would appreciate it so so much just email me at rosesnguns@rocketmail.com.

shadowstark8

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Thing is I have applied for jobs (as a teen) but my parents don't want me working at the age of 14 they won't let me get a summer job or a job.

This is clearly a case of child abuse. Trade-in the parental units immediately. In the alternative:

1) Run away and join the circus;
2) Prostitute your sister; or
3) Call the Channel 7 News I-Team (they are "On Your Side").

btw - With 40Gb of RAMs you are a Superior Being to us.

Mondoman

Splendid
When you're begging for a graphics card, you've got to first figure out the best location. If you put some thought into it, you'll realize that the "CPU" forum probably isn't it. You should also consider if you really want to be known as a beggar.

As wc noted, you might want to take some time off from gaming to learn enough about computers so you don't make that "40gb memory" mistake again.

shadowstark8

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Come'on! I get good grades, but my parents are too uptight and will not give me money or let me do anything that earns money. And I know a lot of things about computers' just a bad mistake I made.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Sorry, but this is one youll have to hash out with the parents. I find it hard to belive they are against you seeking employment. Tell them that B-Unit says that you having a job at this age will be one of the best things that could ever happen to you.

Not that they'll care that I said it, but Ill tell you right now by the time my kid is 14 hes going to have had at least one job.

The Third Level

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
You're 14. As long as nobody is making you work huge industrial presses its not child labor. Even if you can't get a 'job' per say, go ask some neighbors if you can mow their lawn, rake leaves, babysit, walk their dogs.

And you really need to get this one straight with your parents. Tell them you're working responsibly to get your own cash for the things you want so THEY don't have to spend on it.

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
they wont let u get a job, but u think they'll let u post ur address online to get free stuff??

Save up for now until u can do it correctly....my parents didnt let me build a computer until it was ALL my own money (about $800). Thats y we have a XPS 710 now....
But to beg on a public forum is a little.....low if u ask me

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
Hah, I did the same thing about 6 years ago on this forum. Best advice is to sell your possessions, be as frugal as you can don't spend a dime, and if you have a local computer co-op then volunteer, sometimes you get compensation and you'll meet people who are willing to sell second hand parts for pennies on the dollar. What are you looking to play anyways

shadowstark8

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Mostly my Worldofwarcraft, and crysis games. It would also be nice to play this grand theft auto 4 I got from my grandpa. And I would love to be able to put school projects on my computer, but not enough storage room.

Fortunex

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
"This is clearly a case of child abuse. Trade-in the parental units immediately. In the alternative:

1) Run away and join the circus;
2) Prostitute your sister; or
3) Call the Channel 7 News I-Team (they are "On Your Side" ).

btw - With 40Gb of RAMs you are a Superior Being to us."

Full of win.

@OP, ask your neighbors, friends' parents, etc if they have any work for you.

LumberWagon

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
I'll tell you a true story. A kid I know lives with his disabled dad in a one room shack. Decent enough one room shack though, on a nice little acreage. They stay up late at night playing Diablo II on a Pentium 3 with a nVidia Geforce mx440. They have a great time. Their next game to play is Return to Castle Wolfenstein, which I gave them after playing it again myself a couple months ago.
He's learning how to play guitar on a piece of crap acoustic he got from someone he helped out building their shack. I have never had either of them ask me for anything. He's miles ahead of most kids his age in actually being a help to his neighbours.
Point of story being lower your expectations and enjoy what you have.
If the predicted collapse of the dollar and civil unrest come true then I would suggest the kid I know in the shack with his disabled dad has about 1000 times the likelihood to survive as the kid who figures he has to play Crysis and will beg to do so.

esotericjester

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009

Try working from home. You are obviously familiar with the internet so you could contact Dateline and offer to be the bait the next time they try to catch internet predators.