Computer shuts off during boot

skoolie1

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
I built this computer for my wife back in July 2007.
Specs: WinXP SP2, Abit NF-M2S, AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0GHz, Wintec 1GB RAM, WD 80GB HDD, onboard video and LAN, floppy and DVD drive. The power supply is a CoolMax CM-300.

The computer started to crash randomly about a month ago and has gotten worse. Now it dies during boot up. I ran MemTest and the RAM was failing. I bought new Crucial RAM - 2GB. I ran MemTest for 2 hours about 3 passes and no errors. The problem still exists. I can get to Safe Mode command prompt. I ran msconfig and selected the diagnostic boot up. No drivers or anything is loaded. Normal boot up it fails. On the screen I get the XP splash and a few runs of dots then click. It's off. I took out the hard drive and put it in my other machine. I ran scan disk and found no errors. I can read all the data with no issues. I bought a new hard drive and started Setup. It runs about half way and then click. It's off. I took a power supply out of another working PC and the problem still exists. I shorted the BIOS pins and reset the BIOS. I booted and loaded defaults. Problem still exists. Boots up half way and then click. It's off.

Is my problem the motherboard or CPU or both? or???

CuDobh

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Have similar problem with a Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo 800 S. Disks seem to be OK.. Memory at first was giving MemTestx86 the hickups but after I reseated all of the modules it comes out OK...

Problem is that even booting Live-Cd systems like Knoppix, HawkesPE etc. fails...

PSU delivers correct voltages.. CPU have been tested in other computer and is OK..

BIOS reset and reflashed...

Smells like a motherboard-failure but I am not that convinced..

CPU is old P IV @ 3.0 GHZ
RAM 3GB DDR
HDD: WD2500JB (Western Digital 250GB) +ST3320620A (Seagate 320 GB) all IDE.

CHKDSK reports nothing and S.M.A.R.T is ok for both.

CuDobh

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
What I was afraid to hear.. Will be hunting for a newer PC.. Just have to win the lottery first :D

tookthebluepill

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Skoolie1 - where did you find the replacement board? I have the same problems on an 800S machine (and tried exchanging everything except the motherboard). This is an old post so I suppose that even if you gave me a tip, the place that you got it from probably won't carry it anymore. But it's worth a try.