Sign in with
Your question

I scheduled a reboot task to run in the task scheduler and it did not run but th

Last response: in Windows XP
May 26, 2011 12:59:41 PM

Hi Tom,

I scheduled a reboot task using the Windows Task Scheduler (Server 2003). I used a bat file named reboot.bat. This is what is in the file shutdown -r -f

I scheduled the reboot to occur at 1am. When I checked the task sheduler the next morning, the task scheduler reflects that it did not run. But when I checked the event logs, it looks as if it did run because I get this event:

Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 6006
Source: EventLog
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_EventlogStopped

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp

That error indicates that a scheduled reboot did occur.

More about : scheduled reboot task run task scheduler run

May 26, 2011 2:16:27 PM

If it has sutdown, you should see a mutlitude of services shutting down, then restarting. Also, I think you will see a event that reads:

Shutdown
Reason: <give some reason here.>

Make sure it is run as administrator.
m
l
May 26, 2011 2:34:54 PM

Do you happen to know what that event number would be? I mean for a shutdown event.

And I am in the Administrator's group. I am running it as myself.
m
l
Related resources
May 26, 2011 2:39:13 PM

I believe it's events 1074 and 1076. One is an unexpected shutdown and the other is a normal shutdown. I can't remember which number belongs to which.
m
l
May 26, 2011 5:48:43 PM

Hi again,

I found event 1074 which immediately preceded event 6009. But the Task Scheduler shows that the task never ran. Why would the Task Sheduler behave that way?

The process winlogon.exe has initiated the restart of

computer CAEI-DEV on behalf of user

CAEI-DEV\priscilla.holmes for the following reason: No

title for this reason could be found
Reason Code: 0x840000ff
Shutdown Type: restart
Comment:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
m
l
May 26, 2011 6:35:52 PM

Well, it looks as if the restart command was picked up. Is this event preceeded by a bunch of services shutting down and services starting back up again after restart? If not, the restart was aborted for some reason.

I guess the easiest way to diagnose this it to right click on the event, then click run. See if it reboots and if it does, note the order of events in the event log. If it aborts, there should be an error code in the task scheduler under the "last result" column.
m
l
!