Sign in with
Your question

Won't boot. have tried cmos battery / jumper reset already

Last response: in Overclocking
May 19, 2010 6:21:21 AM

I think I posted in the wrong section, but this place fits the best.

Sup everyone. I just finally got my cpu heatsink fan upgraded so decided to bump up my cpu up alittle bit. i was going from 2.1 to 2.4. I bumped up my voltage one notch. Restarted and now my computers not posting. Ive tried the following:
-cmos reset by taking out battery for 5 min.
-jumper reset
-started cpu for 5 sec without cpu fan to see if it heats up. works
-started computer w/o memory sticks to see if i get the beeps. works
-tried starting with only one memory stick.. didnt work.. i rotated 3 more sticks.. didnt work
-tried starting w/o video card to see if anything happens. nothing
-tried starting w/ no pci cards hooked up. nothing still

What else can I try? I was told if i start computer w/ no memory sticks, if I hear the beeps, the mobo is ok. So does that cancel the mobo as the culprit? I don't know what else I can do. Everything seems to be functional but no POST. All fans are blowing, keyboard is lighting up, hard drive spinning, psu working. Upon powering up, I see nothing on the monitor at all. I'm just completely lost.

specs are
d975xbx2 mobo up to date bios
e6400 cpu
4g memory// 1g sticks corsair
windows xp pro sp3
radeon 4775 vid card
750w psu ocz
May 19, 2010 4:34:35 PM

Wow, I'm going up and down with this computer. Nothing is working. I'm almost tempted to take the computer across the street to Geek Squad, but I know I'm going to sell half my soul to pay for it.

I just don't know what can be the culprit. Arghhhh
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
May 19, 2010 5:16:14 PM

Well, I don't really know how to help you because my PC had the same thing happen, and now I'm waiting to hear from the tech guys where I bought most of the parts. For me it happened while running an Intel Burn Test, I had the Vtt up over Intel spec although still below what many OCers do (and the temps were still only maxing at 62C). Anyway, it crashed during the test and since then it was rebooting during start up, couple times crashed at login screen, but mostly before then. I managed to enter BIOS a few times, default settings didn't even work. I tried lots of stuff, nothing worked and finally it just stopped even showing POST. So, had to bring it in. I think it's a dead CPU... but I don't know could be a lot of things.
m
l
Related resources
May 19, 2010 5:47:52 PM

Yea. I'm not too bad with computers, but troubleshooting is a pain in the a. I've tried everything I could while not having backup parts. If I take it to the shop it'll cost half the price of buying a whole new mobo/cpu combo, which I think is probably the cause. But at least you've seen BIOS. I haven't gotten anything. :fou: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
May 19, 2010 8:30:51 PM

Well, I did see it and tried what I could to fix things therewithin, but nothing worked out. After trying to apply the XMP profile (160 bclk) I never saw the BIOS again, and that was a very safe "OC" too. I had it running at 175x21 for a while fully stable low temps all that good stuff (voltages within spec), but I think I burnt it out with too much Vtt voltage... I knew the max Intel spec is 1.21V and I had it up to 1.283V when it died. Stupid on my part, I really should have left it at 1.21V and tried higher Vcore (since that maxes at 1.55V). Anyway, getting my PC checked out will be free since I bought everything but the GPU from these guys. If it's the CPU tho I'm effed because I went and did lapping and voided warranties (it was necessary, but I'm told by the tech I should have just exchanged it... eff me for being a DIY type eh?). I'm really hoping it's the mobo or maybe PSU... anyway, I'll probably find out by Monday and I'll post back here.
m
l
May 27, 2010 7:14:56 AM

Ok so I bought a new mobo... and have been running it for a week. Today i get a freeze during game, so I'm thinking... so maybe I've not feeding my cpu enough power. It freezes again, this time, the computer won't reboot. I don't see bios neither... so I'm back to the same problem it seems.

To me, it seems the psu is faulty? I don't see anything else that can cause this.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
May 27, 2010 2:21:35 PM

yikes it happened again? have you been running an overclock?
I've heard that some GPUs can cause freezing/no POST so possibly try booting without yours or maybe a different one.
It could be the PSU but it seems unlikely that it would have an issue with the last mobo then run fine again for a week before going crap again. Question tho, when it's not POSTing, do all the fans turn on?

I just got a new mobo as well and so far it's totally better. Went from my MSI P55GD65 to an ASUS P7P55D PRO. But, it's only been a few days now. I'm not running the same CPU speed either, I have it at a tame 160 bclk to get the RAM to speed, and I'm going to leave it here for a while lol. I burned my last one out trying to stabilize at 180 bclk.
m
l
May 29, 2010 8:09:30 AM

dude this sucks. So I'm getting the same symptoms. Computer turns on... fans on... case lights on... No Bios Post... Nothing on screen... But a new symptom has occurred. I get no beeps now. I took off the vid card and memory, that for sure should cause beeps, but no beeps still.

I checked around the mobo and case for anything not hooked in, I found a little two prong piece that connects to a 2pin.. this might be the speaker thing but nothing on the mobo fits it.

Anyway, I bought a new psu, maybe the old one was faulty or dying. I was wrong. Psu didn't change anything.

So its down to CPU? I was getting random freezes and restarts during the course of all this so maybe it was the cpu slowly dying.. and now its just... completely dead?

man i hate computers... but computers are needed for gaming =X
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
May 29, 2010 9:18:25 PM

It still sounds to me like it's the mobo. Maybe your area gets power surges? Are you using a surge protection power bar? It's hard to say what it can be exactly... you might just have to bring it into a computer store and get tech support.
m
l
!