Sign in with
Your question

Help!! Need Advice, Are SATA III Rev. Cables same as SATA II Cables ??

Last response: in Storage
June 11, 2010 6:47:34 AM

Being confused by this new Win7 & use of SATA 6gb/s cables...
In process of finishing my I7 860 build, with Gigabyte P55-A - UD3P & West. Dig 640 gig SATA III drive...

#1 is there anything special to getting Sata 6gb/s To install & format properly in windows 7.???
Plus making sure AHCI is active during install.
[ i know mechanical drive will only improve just burst speed read & 64meg buffer will help also,]

#2 are the 6gb/s cables needed to have the drive perform properly under the new SATA III rev. Socket.?????

Any other advice appreciated!!

Thanks; Olpal :hello: 
a c 327 G Storage
June 11, 2010 3:53:33 PM

I believe the cables for SATA 6Gb/s are the same as for 3 Gb/s, but I hope others will join this forum discussion and comment on that. I would suspect that cheap 3 Gb/s cables that are barely capable (or even sub-standard) might be more trouble in the new systems, though.

Should be nothing special about installing the 6 Gb/s SATA unit. To ensure that AHCI is in use, that is set in the BIOS Setup screens under SATA port mode, very near to where the SATA ports are Enabled, etc. Many BIOS's do NOT have this mode by default and you need to change to AHCI mode here before installing Win 7 on your HDD.
June 12, 2010 9:51:50 PM

i am just about to purchase and install a SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm 64MB cache hd in an intel DP45SG motherboard. i believe the BIOS has the AHCI setting.the other drives are 3Gb/s. does anyone know if they can work together?
a c 327 G Storage
June 13, 2010 3:04:07 AM

Just found some confirmation things should go well for you. This document on the SATA organization website says at the end of p. 3 and the middle of p. 4 that the SAME cables are used, as long as they are good ones.

http://www.serialata.org/documents/SATA-6Gbs-Fast-Just-...

I could not find a direct answer or a performance test about the impact of mixing SATA 1.0 and SATA 6.0 units in one machine. Since SATA ports are controlled independently, I would EXPECT that a SATA controller managing several ports can use each at the speed that matches the device attached. But I could not find a definite statement about that. Some mobos have BOTH SATA 6.0 and STA 3.0 ports. I suspect those are done with two separate controllers, so there certainly ought NOT to be any interference between them.
!