Why is my system so hot?

andru

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Hey guys this is my first post here. My current system is in a Cosmos 1000 case. Right from the box, it had horrible cooling. So, I decided to get rid of the crappy stock fans and replace them with high CFM Yate Loons. These fans push a LOT of air. However, my temperatures do not seem to have improved one bit. What is going on here?

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Post your Temps for:
CPU
GPU
Mainboard
HDD(s)

Bottom fan pulling air in.
PSU mounted horizontal fan up
Rear fan exaust
Top fans exaust
CPU HS fan air flow towards the rear exaust fan

Is there an inlet fan in the front of that case anywhere or a provision for one?
Is your HSF firmly mounted to the MB?

andru

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
My current specs:

Intel Q6700
EVGA 780i
6 GB OCZ SLI Ready RAM
EVGA 9800 GT
WD 640Gig
Silencer 750w
Cosmos 1000
Zalman 9700NT

Temps:
CPU-45 CIdle (was 28 idle in my Antec 900)
MCP- 70 CIdle
GPU- 70C idle(with fan at 60%, anything higher is irritably loud)
HDD- Don't know, but I nearly burned my hand touching them.

Here is an outline of my current fan placement. The yellow things are the fans and the blue lines indicate which way they are pushing air.

cosmosairflow.jpg

scottX

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
no computer genius here but your top fans should probably blow out instead of having one blow in. You are basicly sucking the hot air your throwing out right back in the computer case. You Definatley need to get a fan in the front to blow on your harddrives.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Hmmmmm,kind a hard to tell from here,but maybe a cooling solution for the graphics that exhausts out the back might help,plus the Zalman on the cpu dumps hot air everywhere inside any case,not a good idea,is most desirable to exhaust heat out back or up top..:)

halcyon

Splendid
I had the Cosmos 1000 for about a week. Was totally unimpressed with its airflow so I took it back to MicroCenter. Also, that Zalman 9700NT (which I've also had) is not going to give you great cooling on that quad.

Snacks for thought.