Couple of noob questions...

norco kid

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I want to build a PC relatively cheaply, but with room for future upgrades. My idea is to get a cheap CPU (AMD 7750 or Intel E5200) and upgrade to a quad core when they come down in price. Now I know that Intel is moving on to the i7 chips, so a 775 socket will only go as far as a Q9650. With the AMD, my understanding is that AM3 is their new chip, which will support the 7750 and go to Phenom II X4 945 and beyond. I'm not quite sure how AM2+ works? Will an AM2+ mobo support the Phenom II, but limit it? I was looking mostly at ASUS boards (specifically this one http://ca.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=181&l3=902&l4=0&model=2757&modelmenu=2), and though it claims AM3 support, it still uses an AM2+ socket? Will that board be limiting a Phenom II?

Another unrelated question.. If all new GPU's use PCIe X16 slots, why do most mobo's only have 1 PCIe X16 slot and multiple PCIe X1 or PCI 2.2 slots? How can you use 2 GPU's in crossfire if you only have 1 PCIEx16 slot?

Helltech

Distinguished
I think you're confused on the AMD boards. An AM3 board will only support an AM3 chip. While on the other hand, and AM3 chip can be placed into an AM2+ provided your motherboard has the correct updated BIOS.