Your question

Am2 motherboard with phenom

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Computer
  • Motherboards
  • Phenom
Last response: in CPUs

Do you think I will be able to use a Phenom on my am2 motherboard?

Total: 12 votes (3 blank votes)

• no, outright no
  • 23 %
  • yes, the Phenom
  • 0 %
  • yes, a 65W TDP Phenom
  • 45 %
  • yes, the Phenom II
  • 0 %
  • yes, all of the Phenoms will work
  • 0 %
  • afg, are you insane? upgrading?
  • 34 %
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2009 4:47:44 AM

Hey guys,
I'm really considering an upgrade for my computer. Would you think a Phenom CPU will work with my motherboard? It has a maximum TDP rating of 65W from a cheap power design. Currently I'm using the Athlon X2 BE-2400 with a TDP of 45W. I really can't afford a new motherboard right now. Also, given that my usage of the computer is basically listening to music, surfing forums, playing RA3 and watching HDTV and DVDs, do you think its worth an upgrade?
-afg

More about : am2 motherboard phenom

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 18, 2009 5:25:30 AM

No...ur mobo cant handle the phenoms...they have a 95W power envelope...
Its not worth upgrading just the processor on tat low power mobo...instead wait and upgrade both the CPU and mobo together...
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 18, 2009 5:27:18 AM

And mayb as u say a low power 65W phenom can be used...but its not worth it...
Related resources
March 18, 2009 5:37:11 AM

It would help if you can specify the exact manufacturer and model of your mobo. Sometimes all it needs is a BIOS update (Unlikely but not impossible.)
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2009 5:58:51 AM

Core i7! :sol: 

/not helpful
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2009 7:11:00 AM

stridervm said:
It would help if you can specify the exact manufacturer and model of your mobo. Sometimes all it needs is a BIOS update (Unlikely but not impossible.)

mmm Sapphire Pure Element 690G

I know there is no BIOS support for it.

The power phase design is quite... modest at 65W.

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
March 18, 2009 11:47:45 AM

Hey, I recently bought a PII 920, $180 and a $80 GA-MA78GM-US2H.
Pretty happy with it for very little $$. Absolutely smokes my old Socket 939 4600X2, huge, huge difference.
To run a PII though, you need at least an AM+ board.
I would NOT buy a Phenom unless it was a PII. The new tri-cores are also very reasonable priced, and I see a lot of good things being said about them.
Only you really know if you need to upgrade though, do you feel the need to upgrade, or just want something new?
a b à CPUs
March 18, 2009 8:01:51 PM

I'm just interested... games are getting to the point were some RTSes state that a 6000+ 3Ghz is req'd to play games like Endwar...
March 19, 2009 12:42:41 AM

I just u/g'd M/B and CPU from AM2. Be sure to get AM2+ with the 690/750 chipsets and you won't regret it. Memory, HD, GPU, etc. will port over and you can replace those incrementally. I already had 8G of DDRII but if you are under 4 you might consider DDR3. Either way, get an AM3 chip and your money pit will feel bottomle... er, ah futureproof. ;) 
March 19, 2009 1:37:24 AM

amdfangirl said:
Hey guys,
I'm really considering an upgrade for my computer. Would you think a Phenom CPU will work with my motherboard? It has a maximum TDP rating of 65W from a cheap power design. Currently I'm using the Athlon X2 BE-2400 with a TDP of 45W. I really can't afford a new motherboard right now. Also, given that my usage of the computer is basically listening to music, surfing forums, playing RA3 and watching HDTV and DVDs, do you think its worth an upgrade?
-afg

The AMD Phenom 9350e has a TDP of 65W. If you think the BIOS of your mobo support quad core, then it may be your only option there.
March 19, 2009 2:25:36 AM

Aw, I voted, and I'm the minority. :( 

Quote:
Also, given that my usage of the computer is basically listening to music, surfing forums, playing RA3 and watching HDTV and DVDs, do you think its worth an upgrade?

Considering the uses of this rig, I'm not sure you need to upgrade in the first place. The most stressful application of the list is RA3, and even then I don't think you would see much of a difference between the two CPUs.

On a side note, is there any reason why your Athlon x2's underclocked? Or did I miss something?
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2009 7:23:31 AM

misry said:
I just u/g'd M/B and CPU from AM2. Be sure to get AM2+ with the 690/750 chipsets and you won't regret it. Memory, HD, GPU, etc. will port over and you can replace those incrementally. I already had 8G of DDRII but if you are under 4 you might consider DDR3. Either way, get an AM3 chip and your money pit will feel bottomle... er, ah futureproof. ;) 

Mmm... I have 8GB of DDR2 RAM...

maybez, I dunno... a bit risky upgrading eh?
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2009 7:24:37 AM

pat said:
The AMD Phenom 9350e has a TDP of 65W. If you think the BIOS of your mobo support quad core, then it may be your only option there.

It offically doesn't.

g3force said:
Aw, I voted, and I'm the minority. :( 

Quote:
Also, given that my usage of the computer is basically listening to music, surfing forums, playing RA3 and watching HDTV and DVDs, do you think its worth an upgrade?

Considering the uses of this rig, I'm not sure you need to upgrade in the first place. The most stressful application of the list is RA3, and even then I don't think you would see much of a difference between the two CPUs.

On a side note, is there any reason why your Athlon x2's underclocked? Or did I miss something?

Well, I do what to play Endwar.
!