Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking voltage too low

Last response: in Overclocking
May 19, 2010 12:31:27 PM

I've overclocked my Intel Q9550 from 2.83 to 3.4qhz, but when I turn the PC on it POSTS and after a second re-starts, this time it boots up normally. My temps are all low and I get no BSOD or any errors, just that weird re-start when I first switch on. Anyone know why it's doing this?

My stats. Intel Q9550 @3.4qhz, Mobo Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gb DDR2 800Mhz, Nvidia 260Gtx, Corsair H50. Win 7 64bit Home Premium
a c 102 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 19, 2010 12:51:29 PM

As the thread says "voltage to low"
May 19, 2010 12:54:32 PM

Thanks for the reply!

So is that why it's rebooting, because it's setting itself to a higher voltage automatically? Because after the restart it's fine but done nothing to the settings myself.

simon12 said:
As the thread says "voltage to low"

Related resources
a c 102 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 19, 2010 2:18:17 PM

Are you saying it only reboots when you 1st switch it on and then runs fine? If so does taking the processor back to stock settings fix it? Also have you tried running Prime 95, if not try it as it will give a real test of the system stability. If you can run Prime95 OK then the problem is most likely software related. I am not an expert but I hope this helps
May 19, 2010 5:00:46 PM

Yes, it only reboots when it first switches on then runs fine. Putting the processor back to stock settings does fix it. And I've run Prime95 for hours without any problems. I don't get it what am I missing?

I increase the FSB from 333 to 400 and no matter what voltages I use it still has that weird restart.

Any ideas?
May 19, 2010 5:37:03 PM

Yes, it only reboots when it first switches on then runs fine.
Putting the processor back to stock settings does fix it.
The weird restart isn't resetting my BIOS to default either.
And I've run Prime95 for hours without any problems. I don't get it what am I missing?

I increase the FSB from 333 to 400 and no matter what voltages I use it still has that weird restart.

Any ideas?
a c 102 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 19, 2010 6:19:10 PM

Does it do this if you restart it or only if you boot from cold. If it only does it from cold then it is most likely linked to the power supply. I could be completely wrong though as I am no expert. It could be worth trying a bios update though I can see no reason it would make a difference.
a b K Overclocking
May 19, 2010 6:46:20 PM

Could also be RAM related.. Set the ram speed a little lower and then check it out
May 19, 2010 7:14:05 PM

Thanks for the replys simon12 and cromedome,

It only happens if I boot from cold. It's as though my power supply needs to "warm up" first. It's a 600W Xpower supply a couple years old which (I think) isn't way underpowered. But perhaps it's a rubbish brand.

I will try and lower my RAM as well as double checking the Ram voltage isn't off.

Thanks for your help, if any of your suggestions work I will let you know.
!