8+2 Vs 16+2 Phase Power Design

Tango013

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Just wondering, I'm quite confused after researching the difference. I understand it CAN make a difference but it really depends on other things as well. Basically I am looking at the P6T SE and p6T Deluxe V2. I don't plan on using SLI but I would like to overclock a bit, and I've been told the 8+2 in the P6T SE won't be as stable. Can someone please clarify for me?

Thanks

16+2 is better, but the difference is negligible unless you do some rather extreme overclocking. I would worry about the other features of the board long before the power design would concern me.

Raviolissimo

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
The 8-phase was the first generation, released in about 2006. The second generation, released in about 2008, was 16 phase.

It's not the number of phases, it's the voltage stability under load.

remember the DFI Ultra D socket 939 ? that thing was STABLE. who knows how many phases it had on the power processing circuitry ?

i guess it's fair to say, it's been turned into a marketing gimmick, AND the boards with more phases frequently have better voltage stability.

it reminds me of an electrical engineer i used to work with, we built high voltage power supplies for radar systems. for almost every problem that came up, his solution was always the same ... "more capacitors".

Tango013

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I don't plan on trying to OC the crap out of it, maybe 3.2 or 3.4 tops, and thats even a maybe. Off the bat I'm probably going to use the stock fan to save a bit of cash and maybe OC down the road. So the P6T SE should be good?