What's wrong with 700 series SLI motherboard?

Skarjak

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Hey. I keep hearing that the 700 series of SLI motherboards is bad. But what exactly is the problem with them?

My new computer will have a E8400 processor and a EVGA GTX 275 graphics card, so it seems the best option for a motherboard would be the EVGA 750i SLI FTW. What I see on the internet about this card is mostly positive.

So what's the deal with these motherboards?

g3force

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

They produce a lot of heat, are not very reliable, and have rather low overclocking potentials. I've owned 3 nvidia based motherboards, an nforce 4, a 680I, and a 750I. Only the nforce 4 has yet to be RMA'ed. A memory controller problem was attributed to both the dead boards.

P.S. The second 680i board I received has been running with no issues for about 8 months now. I sold off the 750i board to a friend, he hasn't had any problems with it so far. I could've been unlucky both times, but those situations have left a sour taste in my mouth. As such, I can't honestly recommend either board.

You'll see positive reviews of most Nvidia chipset boards, yes. The problems are more long-term, or heat related, or general but minor instabilities that show up when gaming or working the board hard in other ways.

I don't actually think they are bad by the standards of a few years ago, but these days both AMD and Intel make better chipsets. They are crossfire though of course.

So, we end up with builds like mine (E8400, P5Q-E, 4870). I generally tell folks that want to SLI to use i7 with an X58 chipset.

themyrmidon

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
The nForce4, 680i, 750i (FTW or competitor similar), 780a, and 790i are all very good models. Avoid all others, including the 780i or vanilla 750i. I love my 680i and can't wait for the 980a DDR3 to come out.