Sign in with
Your question

Phenom II X4 945 Overclocking help

Last response: in Overclocking
May 19, 2010 9:51:55 PM

I've always had issue for some reason over-clocking my Phenom but now that I have a 5870, I really don't want my CPU holding me back. It's been at 3.2-3.4 for awhile, and now I have it @ 3.6ghz w\ volt @ 1.385 seems stable.

However, I can not get Everest to give me a actual CPU diode reading which is what your supposed to go on when ocing, the CPU temp just stays "22" while the cores shoot up to around 60 in Everest's stability test. I've heard 60c core temp is fine, as they can safely handle up to 72c (tjun) but I'm a bit bothered that I can't accurately determine my CPU (not core) temp.

I'm running a Arctic Xtreme Freezer 2 on my Phenom as well, which should EASILY be able to do this.

Thanks in advance! I should say when I did 3.6 @ 1.35 volt (which some people claim they can do) my system will crash, guessing too little volts?
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
a c 131 à CPUs
May 20, 2010 4:47:29 AM

Your CPU won't hold you back in most games.

Try HWmonitor to get the core temps.

72C is the Tcase max. This is the maximum heatspreader temperature not that maximum core temperature. That being said, I like to keep my Athlon IIx4 under 60C anyway. The max temperature decreases a bit with the overclock anyway.

Well, that could be the issue, but before I put it to the voltage, I would check to make sure other components aren't the problem. From my experience though, a 20% overclock is reasonable. You may have reached your limit. Try more voltage though. Personally I would not go above 1.4V though.
m
l
May 22, 2010 6:55:34 AM

What kind of board do you have? I got an ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO with the same CPU. Try lowering your volts I'm at 3.7 with 1.375 volts, and before I get flamed yeah I know every cpu is different Im just giving my experience. Also if you enabled unlocking for whatever reason that could be why your temps arnt showing up, if I enable unleashing mode everest wont show my core temp.
m
l
Related resources
May 23, 2010 4:01:29 AM

3.7 @ 1.375 is impossible with my board, even 1.415 doesn't even do 3.7, I have an Asus M3A79T-Deluxe motherboard, also I actually have a 940 Phenom II, not a 945.

In the Nvidia section people were telling me my processor is bottle necking me with a single GTX 480 @ 1920x1200, which I found quite odd that's why I was trying to over clock more, are they wrong though? I find it odd a 3.0+ ghz quad-core would bottleneck a gpu...
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
a c 131 à CPUs
May 23, 2010 10:54:57 AM

rpaulg87 said:
In the Nvidia section people were telling me my processor is bottle necking me with a single GTX 480 @ 1920x1200, which I found quite odd that's why I was trying to over clock more, are they wrong though? I find it odd a 3.0+ ghz quad-core would bottleneck a gpu...

Yes they are wrong. I don't have experience with the 480, so for all I know you could get a couple more FPS with an increase in the CPU frequency but... that's certainly not "bottlenecking". The term "Bottlenecking" is overused and misused.
m
l
May 23, 2010 2:43:33 PM

Thank you Enzo that's good to know, I wonder what is holding me back from benchmark results..maybe it's driver conflict :-\
m
l
!