Sign in with
Your question

Recovery & restore

Last response: in Windows XP
May 26, 2011 8:22:24 PM

Hello all,
i have an imedia 1618, bought around 2005. I wanted to restore to factory settings so i went through the recovery program as described in the manual. The drive is partitioned to C: drive 30gb & D: drive 150gb.
Everything seems fine except the D: drive is showing that i only have 27gb of space available to me.
I wanted to wipe this all clear as i will be using this desktop for the workplace, which will have quite a lot of data added to it.
How can i wipe it all clean like it was when i first bought it?
It did not come with a windows xp disc either.
The C: drive seems fine, plenty of space, about 23.7gb.
Hope you can help.
Many thanks in advance.

More about : recovery restore

May 27, 2011 5:08:09 PM

Did you check to see what files on that D: drive? Are they your old files from before the restore? Was the restore from a partition on the disk, or did you do a Windows restore from a Restore Point?
May 27, 2011 7:30:18 PM

Hi, the files on D: drive are my documents, there's just photographs, video's & music but quite a lot.
I have already backed them up on an external hard drive.
The hard drive is partitioned into 2 , C: drive & D: drive.
I did the full Packard Bell recovery program that came already loaded on the PC.
I have tried to delete them the usual way but to no avail :( .
Would it be worth me buying a windows xp disc and installing that on?
Thanks guys for your time on this :) 
Related resources
May 31, 2011 2:05:41 PM

jouneyman said:
Hi, the files on D: drive are my documents, there's just photographs, video's & music but quite a lot.
I have already backed them up on an external hard drive.
The hard drive is partitioned into 2 , C: drive & D: drive.
I did the full Packard Bell recovery program that came already loaded on the PC.
I have tried to delete them the usual way but to no avail :( .
Would it be worth me buying a windows xp disc and installing that on?
Thanks guys for your time on this :) 

Did the restore work OK? Are the files on the D: drive yours? If they are you may as well leave them there, why bother to restore them from the backup if they were not deleted?
May 31, 2011 8:15:45 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Did the restore work OK? Are the files on the D: drive yours? If they are you may as well leave them there, why bother to restore them from the backup if they were not deleted?

Hi, the files are mine yes and i don't need them on the hard drive, i just need bigger capacity as i will be using the PC for work purposes.
All that it is saying is i have roughly about 27 gb of space when there should be at least 150 gb. :( 
June 1, 2011 1:56:28 PM

If you don't need any data on the D: drive and they are just user files you don't need, meaning no system files, just delete them off there. The restore disk is probably just setup to restore to the C: drive and leave the other one alone.

If you just want to format the D: drive, open up My Computer, right-click on D: and pick Format from the menu. Just make sure you don't have anything on it you may need later.
!