PCI E 1.1 vs PCI e 2.0

I am a little confused about the whole PCI-E 1.x and PCI-E 2.0.

What I am wondering is if older motherboards only support PCI-E 1.x and newer motherboards support both?

For example: If I were to get a newer PCI-E 2.0 video card on an older motherboard would it perform to its fullest potential?
6 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. PCI E 2.0 is backwards compatible to 1.1, and 1.1 is mainly forwards compatible with 2.0, which is great.

if you have a 4870X2 for example on a P35 (pci e 1.1 x16) i'm pretty certain it would be bottlenecked. but a card like the 8800GT, or even a low end card like the 4650 or 9600GSO which are rated at 2.0 specs would not be bottlenecked by a 1.1 slot, or if so, bottlenecked by an unnoticeable amount.

but seriously. if you're buying a 1.1 card to put in a 2.0 slot... you're a little behind the times lol
  2. tesseract08 said:

For example: If I were to get a newer PCI-E 2.0 video card on an older motherboard would it perform to its fullest potential?

A 2.0 card will run on a 1.1 slot but at the at the slower data transfer rate of the 1.1 slot (half that of a 2.0 slot)....so it will be bottlenecked
  3. I do agree with V3's opinion. If you get a high-end card , it seems that you have enough budget for a comparable MB for your newer PC such as P43 or P45
  4. And what about CPU impact?
  5. I'm actually having trouble finding that information about my motherboard. Is an Asus P5N-E SLI a PCI-E 1.1 or PCI-E 2.0? It doesn't specify in the manual.
  6. Can`t find out either but the PCI-E 2.0 spec was n`t issued until Jan 07, so I`d guess your board is either 1.0 or 1.1. Either way unless you go for a X2 style card the loss in graphic performance would be more theoretical than noticeable.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Support Motherboards PCI Express Graphics