Router suggestion for a rigged network...

bigj6360

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
Hi,

I work for a non-profit, and they have about 10-15 computers that are connected with a hodgepodge of switches and routers. I am looking for a replacement for their central router (which happens to be their oldest and weakest). I am currently looking into a Linksys BEFSR81 or a Netgear FVS318. I don't currenty need VPN, nor do I see it as a need for the distant future, but I do want a good router with quick response times with little lag for DNS lookup and good routing.

Here is an idea about their current layout.

Office 1:
5 desktops, a copier, and a server, connected over cat5e to a Linksys WRT54G (Old, I think v1 or 2), and a linksys 4 port switch. That router has dd-wrt firmware installed to act as a wireless bridge with a Netgear WPN824v2.
Office 2
There are two computers connected via ethernet to the WPN824. The wireless bridge works good and I currently have no problems with that.
"Server Closet"
four computers run into this room, as well as the internet connection. It has a Netgear WGR614v5 running the whole show, and I believe this router is giving me my current problems of extremely long DNS lookups (internet runs quickly once all lookups for a page are complete). I did a network scan with wireshark, but nothing looked out of the ordinary. I just know that If I bypass the 614 and use the 824, all is well. Not being able to use the 824 long term in that location I am looking to replace the 614.

I would rather use an 8-port router in the closet rather than a 4port and a switch. gigabit is not needed.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a replacement router? I am looking for a wired router for this room (the 614s radio is disabled and not used).

thanks in advance,
-Me.

bigj6360

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
How does Linksys' BEFSR41 sound to you?

The linksys sounds fine, but I need 7 ports. So if I go for the four port I will also need to by another switch to stack on top of it. does the 4 port offer something the 8port doesn't?

Just to be clear, the WPN824 is currently connected to the WGR614?
The 824 is connected to the 614

here's a chart [edit] Ok the chart didn't work the way I wanted it to. It looked good in the editing window. Oh Well. [/edit]

The 824 is currently required in its location and cannot be moved to another. It is being used to distribute wireless to the linksys as there is absolutely 0 internet access at that building.
I could rework it all, but I would rather pend $60-$70 and have only 30sec of downtime, than the amount it would require to reconfigure dd-wrt and the 614 to talk together and then to reconfigure the 824 to be at the root of the network.

thanks again

MomoCC

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I only suggested the BEFSR41 because it's the "basic" switch in Linksys' line-up. Given your reality, I suggest the SLM2008 then.

To be clear though, I'm just recommending a wired router from Linksys because my best home networking experiences have been with them, and because I want to make your network setup as uni-branded as possible.